Hi, guys. I have been diagnosed with pyelonephritis. I know that this is an infection of kidneys and that it can be serious. I was prescribed with Trimethoprim and I wonder if this medication can help me. Can someone tell me this? I would really appreciate all your replies. Bye, folks!

Hi, there. You are right. Pyelonephritis is a serious condition. Antibiotics are just some of the treatment measures. In acute condition, hospitalization is necessary. You must lie in the bed. I think trimethoprim is prescribed if bacteria are shown to be sensitive to this antibiotic. I guess your doctor tested this. Ask him for some additional info. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Trimethoprim is being used with you as prophylactic measure. In other words, they're trying to prevent you from having another infection by keeping you on low-dose antibiotics. It will not repair any damage you already have, but should (I say "should") help you from getting any further infections. If Trimethroprim doesn't work, they will probably try another one with you.

Hope that helps you.

Celebrity
My daughter was on trimethoprim from the age of 3 till she was 5. She only took half a tea spoon a day. It was a preventative.
She had quite a few kidney infection at the time.
She was taken off it at 5 as a test to see what happened. She didnt get any more infections till she was 15/16 an it all started again.
She is back on antibiotics probably for the rest of her life now.
Not Trimethoprim tho as it didnt work.
She now has Ciprofloxin.