Hi. I am 24 years old girl. I was diagnosed with Chlamydia and now I have a urinary tract infection. I was prescribed with trimethoprim/sulfamethox (Bactrim). I am not sure I have the right med for my condition. Anybody with experience?

Hi. Urinary tract infections are usually treated with antibacterial drugs. There are many drugs for UTI. The most often used, for uncomplicated urinary tract infections, are Trimpex, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra and Cotrim), Amoxil, Trimox, Wymox, Macrodantin, Polycilin, Totacilin, etc. There are also Floxin, Noroxin, Cipro and Trovan. Urinary tract infection can be cured with one or two days of treatment, if your infection is not complicated. However, you have Chlamydia. People with UTI caused by Mycoplasma or Chlamydia are usually treated with trimethoprim/sulfamethox or doxycycline. The symptoms of UTI usually disappear before the infection is cleared. So, it is very important to take the full course of treatment.