Hello, folks. My sister got a urinary infection. Her urine was examined and there was found Escherichia Coli. I would like to know which antibiotics are used for dealing with this bacterium. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me this. Thanks in advance for all your replies. Bye, guys!

Hello. Escherichia coli can be sensitive to various antibiotics. However, growing resistance is a problem today. Since a doctor cannot know which antibiotics a certain patient’s E. coli is sensitive to, he orders biogram and antibiogram. That means that if any bacterium is isolated, then immediately its sensitivity to antibiotics will be examined. A doctor looks at this scheme and prescribes medications. E. coli is usually sensitive to amoxicillin, cephalosporins, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, nitrofurantoin, ciprofloxacin and others. I hope everything will be all right. Please, let me know which antibiotic you will get. Good luck!