Hi, folks. I feel pain in my ear and I seriously suspect that I have an ear infection. I don’t have much time to visit a doctor, so I wonder if peroxide flush will help me with this problem of mine. I will appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Hello, there. I think you should visit ENT specialist nevertheless. Peroxide flash helps only to dissolve the ear wax. This can be helpful with ear infection, but it cannot cure it. Antibiotics are the most important here. That is why I recommend a visit to the doctor. He will examine your ears and see what your condition is. According to that, you will get a proper treatment. You should know that these infections require a longer treatment.

I have just started attempting the 3.5% peroxide ear treatment and gargle remedies after being forwarded articles on this by a colleague.

I used to get really bad ear infections from swimming, actually started in my surfing days from persistently wiping out onto my left ear.

I used to go for many months with low level ear-ache and ENT discomfort before eventually going and getting a course of amoxycillin or augmentin or whatever.

However ±2 years back I started flushing my ears with surgical spirits after swimming (and showering) and I must say that it has prevented all ear infections since then. I have only been using the peroxide ear remedy (and also swallowing 3ml morning and night) the last 2 weeks or so (as a precaution for various forms of cancer) so cannot vouch for it yet, but I haven't shown any adverse reaction either.

The spirits bottles generally are unmarked as far as content, however I do have an old bottle from a UK pharmacy and this indicates that it is around 95% meths, and around the 1% mark stuff like menthol salicylate (a willow bark /aspirin type substance, in acidic form it is great at burning off warts) - I'll fill in details later.

Regarding the peroxide, the bottle I have bought was "20 volume", have since found out this means 20 volumes of O2 per volume of liquid. I have done some rough molar calcs and I come out at 1%. Since I am diluting 1:9 at the moment, since not sure of absolue strength, I am probably not ingesting too much, hence no positive or negative reactions.

Will update when I have more details.

But try the spirits suggestion, I squirt about 1/2 ml in each ear at a time. I definitely do not gargle with this, meths is quite toxic I believe!

surgical spirits is rubbing alcohol