Hello everyone. I was chatting with my friend today. She told me that her 10 year old dog was diagnosed with bladder infection, but she told me that her vet is not sure what type of bladder infection is this.

So, she switched him to the diet, but nothing has changed.

Today, she went to a specialist who told her that her dog needs to go to the surgery, because this stage of disease can be really dangerous.

Now, she is in trouble – she thinks that she can treat it at some other way and she is scared that specialist made the right decision.

What do you think about this?

What is the best treatment for bladder infection in dogs?

Hello there.

I don’t think that this dog needs to go to the surgery. I don’t even think that this stage of disease can be that dangerous and risky?

Still, it depends when she found out that this dog has a bladder infection and early detection is one brick in the wall when it comes to treating bladder infection in dogs.

If she found out about this disease early, it can be treated very successfully.

You can treat it with antibiotics, but some bladder infection can be treated with some dietary changes, because they can improve this dog’s immune system.

Hello. I am really surprised vet told her this, but I suppose that there must be a reason. Look, if she saw some blood in the urine, than this means that there is a serious infection. Don’t even think to treat it yourself! Did she told you is this dog in a pain? Dog in pain can tell a lot of things about his condition. If this is nothing serious, if this is just easier bladder infection, than she can treat her dog at home. I understand that some meds are a little bit expensive but you need to use them. I am for natural remedies always, but they cannot be used if dog is having severe infections.

I never question my vet’s decision. He was educated to become a vet and must know better than me. Of course, I’m always careful when choosing the vet clinic I’m about to go to.

When it comes to bladder infections, they can be more and less serious and that’s something that only the vet can determine.

The cause of it is also important. For example if the dog has stones, they must be removed through surgery. That’s probably the case with your friend’s dog, so the vet chose wisely since in that case there are no other options but surgical treatment.

I can’t know better than the vet, but here is my two cents when it comes to bladder infections:

NATURAL REMEDIES! Instead of being in a rush to overdose your dog with antibiotics who may or may not have side effects, you should attack the problem with herbal remedies.

Have you ever heard of Juniper berry? It’s a herb that is great for urinary infections. Maybe the best treatment for this.

What I also know is good- Parsley leaf. This is an effective diuretic and it can help to eliminate the waste .

And of course- Uva Ursi leaf.  Probably one of the most powerful natural astringents out there.

I couldn’t agree more Mia, I would personally choose natural treatment over antibiotics anytime, but sometimes when the infection is severe you cannot rely on the natural remedies to solve the situation. 

I assume that the vet wouldn’t suggest surgical procedure for some minor bladder infection, don’t you think ? It’s probably pretty bad and he couldn’t find another solution. 

As for Uva ursi and Parsley leaf, they are great. You should also try Marshallow root. It works wonders for the inflammations in the urinary tract. 

And Cranberry or Blueberry will prevent the bacteria, or at least that’s what I’ve heard. 

Hey.

Sometimes you need to use antibiotics without asking your self do they have any side effects or not. Bladder infection in dogs can be really painful and serious and in this case I think that meds can help him. This is not old, boring story. It is true.

My aunt Ilma healed her dog’s bladder infections only with meds. It was so bad infections.

About natural remedies – they are helpful if bladder infection is at the beginning.

For example you can try Nux vomica. Experts says that this is a really good thing to start with when you notice that your dog is having bladder problems.

Hi there. Love is pet, look at it this way. Your dog is old. You probably found out late about his infection, the diet didn’t help so the infection might be pretty bad. I don’t think that you should doubt the specialist’s decision. If he recommended a surgery, it must be a surgery. The surgery shouldn’t be so dangerous and it should fix the infection that your dog is having. I wouldn’t advise you to treat it alone. You already tried with a diet, you can try with antibiotics too, before the surgery, but I really think that the surgery is your best option here.