MED's post got me thinking:

Would you rather big an okay runner in a big pond or the best runner in a small pond?

I prefer the big pond.

Big Pond. While I would love to get an AG placing and think I will someday by virtue of the fact that I prefer smaller 5ks there will be something in the back of my mind that knows that I didn't really deserve it. Not at my pace.

I also prefer big pond. I'm trying to be the best runner I can be.

Big pond. I won a 5k with a 19:10 and wasn't happy at all. It was worthless.

Big Pond...it's always great to challenge yourself with other runners with similar or better abilities than you

Big pond for me too. Always room for improvement. Always.

Just to emphasize how small my current pond is, here are some recent 5k winning times: 19:24, 19:13, 22:40.

note to self: don't race in Mech's town.

That third race I could have won. The other 2 were to quick.
Sorry to hear your racing is so bad.
I would prefer the big pond also. I need to chase people to make me faster.

I mostly prefer big pond. But I have also won age groups awards/trophies at a particular race in Boulder. 2 years in a row I had the 2nd place time. Unfortunately I couldn't make it back to defend my title. It was definitely fun though!!!

I'd rather be a great runner in a big pond but that ain't happenin'...... so I guess I'm happy with being an okay runner in the big pond.

I want to be the fastest runner I can be.

I normally race smaller races because I'm not too fond of large races. And although I usually place well in the smaller races, I don't let it go to my head that I'm "all that" because I know there are tons of people out there that are faster than me.

both.... A little of both. Every now and then a trpphy makes me feel good.

I like my ego stroked, too.

For so long I've been a small fish (strictly midpack) in a big pond (mostly NYRR races in Central Park). Since I've moved to the 'burbs I've ran a couple of small local races. How small? I took 3rd in my AG last year and 2nd this year. For once it's nice to get a medal that wasn't given to all the finishers. Oh, and it's nice to walk (run) to the starting line from my house!

My next race? A 10K in Central Park with 4,000 other runners, including int'l pros. I guess that's my answer to the question!

Small pond! I love hardware!! :D