Strictly opinion only:

What weekly mileage would you consider "high mileage?"

What would you as a runner be impressed by?

It depends a bit on the race distance:

5K, 10K > 100
Marathon > 130

I'm not sure if "impressed" in the right word, but that implies I think it is a good thing. But I have a friend who routinely tops 150 miles a week, which sure seems like a big number to me.

Regular people (aka for those who have non-running related jobs or those who run 9mm or slower): 55 for a highly committed life, 65 with less commitments People who have running related jobs or who run fast: 70 for a highly committed life, 80 with less commitments Secondary question: doesn't 100mpw for a 5K sound ridiculously excessive? Geez, I talked to Jen Rhines in September and she said she did 150 mile weeks to prepare for Athens.

I'd probably draw the line at >70MPW. That just seems like a lot of running to me.

Side note :: I did the math for 100 MPW @ 7:30 pace and it's only 12.5 hours/wk. That's just a little more time than I spend on the bike every week.

12-1/2 hrs. / week of running sure sounds easier than 100 MPW. Maybe it's just me.

Anything over 75 miles per week

Curious: do you compute your commute time with or separately from your training miles? I envision you on your bike for hours a day 8O so it's strange to hear only 12.5 hours or so a week. 12.5 hours a week on foot does sound like less than 100mpw. I guess I just think how long it would be me and I cringe. I run less weekly mileage, but it takes me longer. :cry:

My ride takes roughly an hour each way and yes I count those miles toward my training. Most of my races are between 12-20 miles on the bike, so my commute distance is perfect for training for that distance.

triple digits impress me whether the person works five jobs or none. I guess it's hard to impress me with mileage that I, myself have done....and I've worked very hard at avoiding 3 digits (unless it includes a decimal point ) . Not to say that I can't be impressed by someone that does 70 miles a week when I know their individual situation, but if I'm presented by just the numbers.....it'll take 3 digits.

Ever since my baby came, high mileage for me has meant anything more than 15mpw. :D

But that's more than made up for in smiles, giggles, and drool. :wiggle:

The cutoff for what I consider high mileage is based on a level that is high enough that the runner might start doing more harm than good.

Even for a 5K runner, a jump from 70 to 100 mpw will cause most people to improve. Going above 100 is probably no more likely to help than hurt a runner's 5K times for most people, so that is my cutoff for "high mileage." For a marathon, the limit where you start pushing beyond what many people would say is helpful is a little higher, and hence my 130 number.

I'm currently training at around 90 miles per week in preparation for 5K's and 10K's. Already I've seen solid improvement over how I was running at 50-60 mpw, in spite of the fact I'm doing a lot less speedwork and intensity. Once I have a lengthy block of training at that mileage, I give a full report about how well (or not) it works.

Bob Kennedy is reported to have routinely done 140 mpw during base building back when he was exclusively a 5K runner. Interestingly, he is reported to have only been doing 120 mpw in the last few months to get ready for the NYC marathon.

I should also point out that many "low mileage" top runners do tons of cross training, plyometrics, and other work that doesn't count toward their weekly mileage totals. Of course there are big variations in the intensity of the runs as well, so you have to look beyond just the mileage totals to really get the full picture of someones training.

Most people would be surprised at the range of mileage and intensities that the cream of the crop elites of this world run. I have a buddy that runs 2:09, he run 90-100 miles per week (at very high intensities). Whereas many japnese marathoners runners occasionally top out at 200 plus miles a week (at ridicously slow paces).

Mike

Here is the answer: anything over 70 mpw.

It begets another question, "What is the record for the most miles in a week?"

You Elite Marathoners run 130+, what if you just went nuts for one week?

For 6 days, the record is 639 miles. He kept going and completed 1000 miles in 10 days, 10 1/2 hours, so while no offical record was taken at 7 days, it is safe to say he was over 700 miles for the week. He ran 254 miles in the first 2 days of that 10 day stretch.

Most elite marathoners could easily pop a 200 mile week without too much trouble. The fastest marathoner I know personally routinely runs 140-150 and has an all-time high around 175. Although I used to be coached by a guy who only ran 105 and I think he had a similar PR in the 2:13-2:15 range.