and man, the last 4 miles were ugly. I actually felt good until mile 8..after that, things went downhill. I've always negative splitted my longer races (I do from time to time positive split 5ks and 10ks) but for some reason today, things weren't going as usual. Combined with the recent layoff due to injury, it was definitely not a day for a PR.

Conditions were great for racing today...sunny, abit on the chilly side (30-35 degrees or so) but calm. I made the first mistake of starting just a few rows from the front...given that this race was abit on the competitive side (lots of fast runners).
My first mile came in at 6:28...a wee bit too fast for my liking but I thought that it was close enough to my goal pace and I didn't make the effort to slow down a bit. 3 miles in 19:31...by the time I hit 6 miles, 39 mins...I kept surging with a group of guys I was running with (mistake #2)I thought I was on a roll (I never ran this fast in the beginning of a 1/2 marathon)...thinking that a PR may be waiting at the finish line....a 1:24, 1:23 perhaps if I negative splitted it?
I decided to take off after mile 6...mile 7 turned out to be the fastest-6:16...however I started noticing that things were taking turn for the worst...my breathing has gone more ragged and my legs were tightening up....I felt that my ability to hold the pace up is starting to diminish..true enough, mile 8 turned out to be 6:25...the bad feeling worsened as my pace fell off...I was at 6:50 or so by the time I reached mile 11. The people whom I was surging with at the beginning and left behind after I decided to take off came back and left me in the dust in the last 5k.
Finish time was 1:26:05 (chip), 1:26:09 (net)...6/12 in my AG and 83 or 84th overall out of 1700+ runners.

Splits:
1- 6:28
2+3-13:03
4-6:36
5-6:25 (32:33)
6-6:27
7-6:16
8-6:25
9-6:33
10-6:43
11-6:50
12-6:42
13.1-7:33

Ho Lee s**t! 8O That is really fast! Nice job Tim! :bowdown: Nice report.

Learning experience for Tim turns into a 1:26 that I'd give my left testicle for.... still a very nice race Tim and even better coming off the injury.

me too if i had 'em.
great job Tim. very nicely done!

:teehee:
Great job Tim - Good way to kick off the racing season!

Nice job Tim!! Well worth the effort of trying to go all out for it!

Nice going! You be fast!