14th Tim Plum 5/10K Fub Run, Lake Forest IL For the second year, in a row, I took part in our running club's holiday race, which also raises donations for local food pantries and shelters. This time around, though, Mrs G (Library Chick) decided to run the 5 K also. This is the first run for her at this length, and I think her second overall (where she's running the whole thing). There's about 200 runners who take part, about 2/3 running the 10K. Good weather, cloudy and about 42*. Everyone runs together for about the first 2K. Last year's 5K was only 3.7 ( 8O ) but they got it right this time around - actually about 5.05 K. At about 12 minutes, there's about five of us together, with a woman about 100m in front. I get past her, and figure OK, there's got to be some x-c types way up in front. But I see the turn-around point, and there's nobody coming back toward me. It sinks in... ME, GRETRIEVER, IN FIRST PLACE. THIS IS NOT PART OF THE SCRIPT. Now I have to figure: How do I run when I'm in the lead? Where is everyone else? Do I try to get into a higher gear, or coast? How long before someone passes me? I run faster (I know, but try to picture it anyway). I somehow get to the end, and enter the train station. In there are the Club President (who's a qualifier for the Olympic Marathon trial) and a jazz band. She asks "How do you feel?""Pretty good.""You know you're the first one in? Congratulations!" Then it sinks in: I won this frickin' race. NOT age group. NOT all males. THE WHOLE THING! Trot back to the finish and wait for LC. She comes in at :37:12.34, a sub-12 minute pace for her first 5K - I am very proud of her . Of course being a fub run, there are no awards (figures), but I was given a couple water bottles, I'll make one of those my trophy. Oh, the time was 25:58:59, an 8:17 pace. And finally, on the canine front. There were six Goldens running, two Weimeraners, and a Basset Hound. As it did finish the race, the Basset is being tested for steroids as I write this. :P

Holy c**p you won. Way to go.

Awesome!!! Great job!

Very, very cool!!!! Congrats on winning your race. That must be an incredible feeling. (A bit w00t to Library Chick too!)

One of the women I'm marathon training with runs with her Basset also. He can go up to 8 miles. Shocking. The only runs my labs want to do is from the couch to the food bowl.

:banana: a feeling i will NEVAH experience: coming in first!!!!!!! :banana:

unreal. i would have been like, what are you nuts? Me First?????? :umno:

so awesome for you. couldn't happen to a nicer turkey too. :cheers:

Congratulations!!!!!

That is friggin' awesome G!!!! Congrats you big winnah! Great to hear how it feels to not look at the entire pack from the rear view :P Now its time for obligatory 'Swinger's' quote, modified for the occasion: Let me tell you something, <G>. You're money, and you know what else? You're a big winner. I'm gonna ask you a simple question: who's the big winner tonight in the <turkey day race>? <G>, that's who. <G>'s the big winner.

Great Job Gre! :thumbsup:

OMFG, you won?? How kewl is that!!! I knew you could do it. I am very proud of you Steve. And how bout that Library Chick!!! She is amazing as well. Congrats to you both. :thumbsup: :dance2:

Great Job!!!!

A win is a win is a win!

I guess you will have to run again next year to defend your crown.

Congratulations on first place

That is awesome! IF I was ever in the lead, I'd mess it up by not knowing the race course well enough, then I'd get lost, and probably never cross the finish line.

Awesome! :thumbsup:
and a big congratulations to LC, too.

Congrats to both big dawg and lady dawg! :thumbsup:

As official champion, you should make it a goal for next year to get that course measured and accurate!

That's a good point, kid - darn near all of yours are. Of course, this could lead to people calling me the Shelfie of Illinois (oh the pressure, oh the expectations)

Thank you one and all for the kind words! They mean as much as the race itself. And often more.

:thumbsup: