The more I train, the more I feel the need to focus on shorter distance races. Does anyone else feel this way? I like doing 5Ks and sprint distance duathlons.

Personal preference reallly. The more I train, the more I feel like I should be doing. Distance-wise, that is. I loved the one half-marathon that I did. I can't wait to do a full, and then an ultra.

I find myself focusing on the longer stuff. It's just personal preference.

Personally, I've never liked the shorter races.

I'm one of the few who actually like 5k's also.... it's not always just about distance...

Yes, I'm only focusing on 5K's at the moment. I want to get faster and specificty of training I think will be key to reaching some of my goals.

:1: I like to push myself further, not necessarily faster. A different kind of hurt, a different kind of reward. Though my short distance times continue to go down as a result of focusing on the long distances + tri training.

Yup short stuff. Half marathons and stuff.

I like to go long. I complian about the trainng, but I love it. No feeling like finishing a long race and knowing you left all of it out on the course.

Sheldon

I wouldn't consider a half marathon a short distance, and I would argue the 10M as well. The half marathon is not an insignificant distance and should be properly trained for.

i like 5Ks but i also like throwing a half in every now and then.

if there were any other distance races here, i might learn to like them too. :?

why are people 5K haters?

For some people, a 5k is a long race. For some people, a half marathon is a short race. Once again, it depends on the individual.
Personally, I consider a half marathon to be a short race. But that's because I typically do marathons.

:shrug:
While i'm still building my long runs so as to eventually train for a marathon, i love the 5k. Always have. It's a fun distance which i can push myself hard throughout the entire course. It's always been the distance that i gauged my progress by.

I'm with you here. Last weekend I did a race relay and we were in 9 teams of 3. Our teams collaborated as to who would do what when and the other teams didn't know. Anyway, we had to do the 400, 800, 1200, and 1600. Out of the distances, the 400 was brutal. I thought I was going to puke after racing the 400, but it was incredible when I was running it because it was the first time I really felt myself fly around a track...and I was hauling A$$ and by the time I did my last relay, the 1200, my quads literally were so sore that I was mentally telling myself to run faster....that's never happened to me in a race either. I'm starting really to like the short races.

I think the 5k is the ultimate test of speed + endurance + tactical racing.

I prefer the longer distances (I'm more of a slow twitcher)...After doing my first half earlier this year I am already looking forward in running my next one and hopefully eventually building up to a marathon next year. I like 10ks too- long enough but not short and at the same time challenging. I find 5ks too intense...it's a good distance to work on speed and from time to time I do them for practice but nah never really liked them.

I was joking about the half being a short distance. Most of my races are about 5 hours so a half in 1:30 would be considered short, for me.
I really don't like the short races. I have to give out to much for the short period and I feel kinda let down when it ends so quick.
Everybody has a favorite.
Sheldon