Hello to all:
This topic came up at a recent race so I thought I would post this on a running forum, as some of ours were a little odd and downright humorous. Any of you out there have any pre-race rituals or superstitions that you have? Is there some sort of behavior you must go through in the week or day before or the morning before a big race? One runner said they have to get dressed in the morning in a certain order of clothing or they won't run well. Another one said she eats one power bar and has two cups of water two hours before her run and she won't deviate. Another said they wear the same outfit to every race until they run a bad time. I was curious if anyone out there had a certain ritual or superstition.

Razorback21

Two things: take as many dumps as I possibly can and make sure my laces are double or triple knotted. I had a shoe come untied at just over two miles in a four mile race and the 20 seconds or so I lost retying it cost me a PR.

I cut my hair the day before the race. The last race I didn't cut my hair and had one of my worst races in a long time.

/I also poo a lot, but that's mostly because of nerves.

Cutting your hair! That's an interesting one! Mine is a little odd, but I have run 3 PR's in my last 3 races and I'm only doing one thing different. I am giving the previous race T Shirt I receive to my friend's wife, who sleeps in it and puts some perfume on it. I then run in that shirt at my next race. It has worked three times straight, and I'm afraid to do anything different. To paraphrase the line from Bull Durham "You never, ever, ever 'mess' with a winning streak."

Razorback21

Lucky undies.

Lucky undies.
no commando???? :x

I had a hat with two good luck charms from Jacked. But it disappeared earlier this year. So I'll have to get some other little superstition.

I faithfully apply BodyGlide before each and every race. Also before each and every run.

I always tied my shoes, warmed up for at least for 20 minutes (even for marathons) then unlaced, and re-tied my shoes.

TIE THOSE SHOES again and again and again and again and again.

That's all I've got.

:1:
That's all I have. Otherwise it's just making sure I have something to eat that is appropriate for the race distance. 5k and 10k is probably just a bagel with cream cheese. I didn't figure out what works for the marathon since I got hungry early on.

Nothing special for me except usually getting there at least an hour before race time to find a good spot to park. Sometimes I will try and park in the same spot or same area for that course.

I have to shave before every race. Don't know why, but it works.....

:wavey:

I puke before every race. Done it since high school. No sense in changing it!

Lucky undies.
I hope you wash them between races..... :umno: