One of my goals is to run a sub-40 10K this year. How can I judge from my training times if I'm ready to run sub-40?

I made a promise to myself a few years ago that I'd never run a 10K until I knew I could do it in less than 40 minutes. (weird, I know)

whattya running now? 5k times? half-mary?

My last race was on Oct. 21, 2003. 5K - 19:45 finish time

Show off! :)

some of us would be happy with a pain free, sub 48 minute 10K. ;)

When I could run sub 19 5ks with ease, sub 40 10ks were no big deal either.

I think the best way to do it is to just run one and see where you are. Then you can make adjustments and nail the sub 40 after that. The first attempt at racing 6.2 miles always sucks. It is in between the 5k sprint and a half marathon pacing strategy. You have to haul butt while still managing your pace and effort early on. Compared to a 5k, you have twice as much time to do something stupid.

My first 10k was 51 minutes. I've been sub 38 since. Running sub 40 on your first try is doable, but rawther ambitious.

I agree with Runner X. Just run one first as a benchmark race and then adjust your goals from there. It also depends on the amount of training you have been doing. I ran my first one in 43 min on basically 30-40 mpw with some but not a heck of alot of speedwork.

Since I haven't broken that barrier yet, I can't really help you. I do agree that you should run at least one so you can see where you are at. Then you can make any training changes that you might feel are necessary.

I'd say if you can run 8 miles in training at the required pace, you'll be okay.

You know I've already given you my answer in PMs, I think you're already there.

X probably has there the closest measuring stick you'll find in that being able to plunk down sub-19 5kms are going to show you're comfortably ready.

And as much as we hate to bring up "intangibles" with serious training questions, I do put some stock in "race day magic" ideas. When I look back at some of my PRs, my 10km being one of them, it was a race where everything clicked. If you call it runner's high or whatever, the day, the legs, the course, the competition, all fell into place for a PR that my second best time isn't even within 30secs of. So if you're in tune with your body and you're getting a 'feeling' that it's time, by all means, search out a race that fits your ideals and go for it :thumbsup:

I was consistently running low 19s before breaking 40 for a 10k. I predict that PH is more like me, more strength than speed and will not "have" to be running sub 19 5ks before getting below 40.

JR---I have the same experience for the 10k....36 second PR...and there was something just plain "magical" eventhough I committed the #2 biggest mistake (I conversed for the first half :umno: ).

Beyond what has already been said, I have always found that 5 x 1 mile with a 1/4 mile jog (2:00-2:30) recovery ends up being right at 10K race pace when done hard.