I'm strictly a mid-pack runner, but I'm wondering at what point racing flats would be beneficial (or at least economical). I've always raced in whatever training shoes I happen to have - currently Saucony Trigon 2s. I just ran a 5K, I've got another in two weeks, and the NYC marathon in November - all in those shoes. My impression is that at my level I would not notice a difference. What's a few seconds off a 4hr+ marathon?

I would rather just get lightweight trainers and use them. I switched from asics 20XX to ds trainers. I noticed no different in speed or times but I like the weight. They are about 2-3 ounces lighter. I have not done any long long runs but I bet it would make a difference there.

Save your money and maybe start training and racing in lighter shoes.

I wear lightweight trainers all the time. However, my trainers weigh the same as some flats. I own a pair of flats that i wear once a year for a 10k. I don't think I'd ever wear flats for over the 10k distance.

I wear them for 10k and under races because I'm still somewhat competitive in my age group.

I'm AG-competitive in one local race I run, but it's the only one. And lately I only run a few a year (though each one makes me hungry for another )

So is the point of flats that they're lighter? Or are they also more flexible? I don't see how a few ounces can make a difference, but most of the shoes I run in seem to be around 10 oz, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

the main advantage is weight. several ounces over the course of a race can add up to a big difference.

They were good for about 10-12 seconds a mile for me during a 5k.

:1: me too. I won't run anything longer than a 5K in them though. The total lack of support KILLS my calves.

really??? that much????? makes me wonder though....I've wore those flats with my 10k PR....I hounded the RD is course was accurate because I ran about 30 seconds faster than I thought I should.
The next year we saw RD in town the night before the race, my husband kinda knows him and introduces us. The guy looks at me and says "I had the course certified this morning" I think he remembered me. :umno: Again I broke out the flats and ran a 38:30 after running a 39:05 without flats.

Wow - 30 seconds would have helped me last Saturday - I was 29 seconds off my 5K PR

Thanks for the input, people! :)