How far will you drive to cheer for someone in a race?

Depends on the race. For just your average 5 or 10k, I'd drive an hour... at most 2. For a marathon I'd drive much further, especially if it was the closest one. I probably wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes to cheer for someone, but I'd go with them to the race if it were within 2 hours (carpooling). I'd drive 1600 miles to run in Boston though ;)

Not too far for a 5k or 10k since there are so many in the area. The farthest I've traveled for a race is Hilton Head, and will do so again. (rough, but someone needs to do it) It depends on who is running on how far I'd go to cheer on someone.

I'll drive 6 hours....anything more than that...I fly. I fly for 1/2 and marathons only.

When I raced, I only went into the city to race.

I drove 2+hours to meet up with Monk and his family last year. I would go up 3 hours to spectate a race with a Riff Raffer in it

How far did Genie drive to watch a race? NOBODY can beat dat! :D

I'll drive to Chicago probably...that's the farthest...(3 hours away).

So, what I'm sensing here is no one will drive to Cali just to race. *sigh*

No, actually I was curious because there is a race that is about 2 hours away and with wake up that would make for a really early day.

Also, someone is running a marathon that day at that same race, someone Mr Aire was deployed with.

I'd sooner drive the two plus hours to cheer than to race.

So far I've only taken the transit to races. My parents use the car on the weekends so I basically have to make transport arrangements on my own.

Unless its the annual local run here in town, my closest run is at least 1-2 hours driving time. So sometimes I get up quite early to go to a race.
I've never driven anywhere to cheer someone on, I don't have any RL running friends. I have a friend running the Air Force Marathon over at Wright Pat in Dayton, I would like to go cheer her on in the fall, that's about 3 hour drive.

That would be a whoppin' 15 hours from Philly to Madison, baby!! Making the journey again next May but this time I'm running! ;)
On the norm, an hour is typical for me because I live right in between Philly and the Lehigh Valley, each an hour's drive in either direction. I drove to Charlotte a couple years ago to visit Jmiller and run a 10K (9 hours) and I promised to make at least one pilgrimage out to Western PA for something this year, although I am making a stop on the way to Madtown! That's about 6 hours.
If I can build in a trip to see friends I don't mind a longer drive.

i drove almost 2 hrs to cheer on PH and sonnylax and garebelrunner a few months ago. it was fun, i got there just in time to see everyone cross the finish line AND i got a free b'fast out of the trip...

My wife finally admitted that she's resigned to the fact that whenever we travel, I'm going to scrounge up a race somehow somewhere. The farthest I've raced from home is 2200 miles away (flew there). And prolly the farthest driven was 700 miles and raced on the morning of a wedding I was a groomsman for. But for the sole purpose of racing, it's mostly 100-200 miles anyway.. not a big race calendar in Wobegon itself.
When it comes to cheering on someone, I always cheer at races, but can never keep myself from running something too, so I'm a nada in the travel just to cheer column.

When the gun goes off, she always flies.

I'm thinking about driving to the Dallas Marathon (930 miles). If I do, that will be to run in it. I'm only considering it because it is during my Spring Break and I'm fitting it into the possible Spring Break trip.

Normally, I wouldn't drive more then 4 or 5 hours for a marathon. 5Ks are more like 1 hour.

How far I would drive to watch a race depends on who is running it. If it is just a few friends, I'd be willing to drive around 2 hours. If it is somebody in a certain group (a group that has just a couple women in it ;)), then I'd be willing to drive a lot further.

Luckily I have a lot of races within about an hour here in Jacksonville.

I don't drive down to the 30K near Daytona (I take the bus! )

I did drive 900 miles to run with Elkid 2 times. Okay Okay, I was already there on vacation.

Now if I am travelling anywhere on Vacation I do scan the web looking for races nearby.