Does Yasmin have any side affects related to foot pain?

My Yasmin Nightmare - Please read to the end.. You might save yourself or someone else...

I am 27 years old. I have been on the Depo Provera from the age of 17, due to endometriosis.
4 months ago, I decided to go onto Yasmin. I experienced mood swings of note, loss of libido, headaches, nausea, lack of energy... and the list goes on.. But the worst is yet to come.

On Monday the 5th of Jan 2010, my appendix was taken out via emergency surgery. I was discharged the Thursday morning. I started limping when I walked, but brushed it off as a discomfort from surgery. 2 days later I was admitted to Milpark Hospital (Johannesburg, South Africa), with a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombsis) in my left thigh and was also diagnosed with severe PE (Pulmonary Embolisms). I was standing on death's front door!!! Various blood tests were done to establish whether I had any previous genetic blood disorders (PCR Genetic diseases) and were eliminated by both the Pathology Lab and the Vascular Surgeon. There was no evidence of another cause for my blood clots.
The cause of my blood clots?? YASMIN!! I only used it for 4 months!!!! Yasmin was the cause of my clotting... the surgery just set it off.

I am now wearing a compression stocking that I'll have on for the next year. I have been placed on Warfarin medication for a year. I have to have my blood drawn and tested every few days. My new best friend has become an Anticoagulantion Clinic!!!
I am forced to wear a Medic Alert ID bracelet with this info. If I get cut, I will bleed to death faster than normal. If I fall, I must report the fall to my clinic. I bruise easily (I sound like Natasha Beddingfield)

Warfarin is serious stuff - Warfarin is a coumarin-type anticoagulant and acts by depressing synthesis of Vitamin-K dependent coagulation factors in the liver. Warfarin is used to prevent and treat harmful blood clots. This medication helps to keep blood flowing smoothly in your body by decreasing the amount of clotting proteins in the blood. Warfarin is sometimes commonly referred to as a "blood thinner," but its more correct term is "anticoagulant."

SIDE-EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS:
Haemorrhage from almost any organ of the body with the consequent effects of haematomas as well as anaemia. Skin necrosis may occur. Purple toe syndrome - a reversible, sometimes painful, bluish discoloration of the toes may occur. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach/abdominal bloating or cramps may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects. This medication can cause bleeding if its effect on your blood clotting proteins is too much (unusually high PT and INR results). Even if your doctor stops your medication, this risk can persist for up to a week. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these signs of serious bleeding occur: unusual pain/swelling/discomfort, prolonged bleeding from cuts or gums, persistent nosebleeds, unusually heavy or prolonged menstrual flow, unusual or easy bruising, dark urine, black stools, severe headache, unusual dizziness. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: persistent nausea or vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin. This drug may infrequently cause serious (possibly fatal) complications from the dislodging of solid patches of cholesterol from blood vessel walls which can block the blood supply to parts of your body. If left untreated, this can lead to severe tissue damage (gangrene). Seek immediate medical attention if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: painful red rash, dark discoloration of any body part (e.g., purple toe syndrome), sudden intense pain (e.g., back or muscle pain), foot ulcers, unusual change in the amount of urine, vision changes, confusion, slurred speech, one-sided weakness. A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

My CT scan report said the following...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Technique:
Post contrast through the chest as per Pulmonary Embolism Protocol.

Findings:
The central pulmonary artery appears normal. There is evidence of a filling defect in relation to the area of the left pulmonary artery, just at the level of the branch of the upper lobe segmental branch. There is the impression of thickening in relation to the segmental branch of the anterior segment of the right upper lobe with further impression of a suspicious filling defect noted in relation to the apical segmental branch.
Further evidence of eccentric pulmonary emboli noted along the right interlobar artery, continuing into the apical segmental branch of the right lower lobe. Continuing eccentric filling defect noted to extend into the right inferior pulmonary artery with defect noted inferiorly. There is evidence of a filling defect noted in relation to the lateral basal segmental branch of the right lower lobe. Further evidence of filling defect is noted in relation to the third order division branches to the posterobasal segment of the right lower lobe. The upper lobe segmental branch appears to be intact.
The left pulmonary arteryappears to be well opacified. There is evidence of eccentric clot in relation to the lateral wall of the left inferior pulmonary artery which is noted to continue inferiorly into the segmental branches of the anteromedial basal and laterobasal segmental branches.

The aortic arch and the rest of the thoracic aorta appears normal in calibre. The heart and chambers seem to be within normal limits. No pleural effusions or segmental atelectasis or pleauroparenchymal infarcts are noted.

The visualized liver, spleen, pancreas and upper poles of both kidneys appear to be normal. The intrahepatic IVC appears to be patent. Delayed scan performed through the lower abdomen and pelvis.

There is evidence of a filling defect in relation to the left common iliac just beyond the bifurcation just beyond the confluence with clot noted to extend o the left external iliac and left internal iliacs.
Clot noted in relation to left common femoral and left superficial femoral veins. The pelvic structures appear to be within normal limits.

There is evidence of multiple acute pulmonary emboli in relation to both lungs.
These were noted to involve predominantly the segmental and subsegmental order division branches. There is however clot noted in relation to the right inferior, right interlobar and left inferior pulmonary arteries.

Extensive clot noted to extend from the left common iliac vein distally.

DR J SARAWAN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In layman's terms... I am lucky to be here! The clots in my thigh extends all the way from below my knee to my pelvis - ONS SOLID CLOT in my main artery. The other clots has already traveled trough my body, through my HEART and is now stuck just outside of my heart in my main pulmonary artery outside my lungs... several other ones are already inside of my lungs.

If you're reading this and are on ANY form of Pill, read the inserts, Google it and speak to your doctor... but for your own well-being, don't just take anything out there!!! And if you're on Yasmin, please stop taking it. Here are links to more Yasmin cases - I would like to urge you to visit the "Yasmin Survivors Forum" (if you type it into your search engine it will come up), where there are many women (including myself) who have experienced terrible side effects from taking Yasmin, and are ready to offer support and advice.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Glad I found this!
My last depo was due in April after being on it since for 6 years. Only went on it as it was the in thing at the time. I now realise that it has made me feel awful coming off.
Sore boobs, white discharge, sleepless nights, nausea are all side effects of coming off it. I am getting married in October and are dying to start a family. This has pretty much ruined all chances in the foreseen future. Those who are looking at getting it don't bother. And no my doctor didn't tell me about any of this. I am waiting for my periods returning so I know when I can start trying for a baby.
If anyone wishes to give me any advice please do so.
Yours sincerely
A desperate to be mum
:(

Hanabanana28 wrote:

Glad I found this!
Yours sincerely
A desperate to be mum
:(

Hello Hanabanana28,

I was placed on the Depo due to severe endometriosis. After my first laparoscopy at 17, the doctors told me that I would never have children.

Shortly after I was diagnosed (age 27) with the clots as mentioned in my previous post, I fell pregnant. Unfortunately we lost the little one because we found out too late. Warfarin causes severe birth defects and we were advised not to continue with the pregnancy.

What I am trying to get at is.... Go easy on yourself and try not to think about it for too long or stress about falling pregnant too much. The more you're gonna want it, the lesser the chances. And besides, stress causes you to have no period at all... although every person is different.

Be kind to your body :)
Enjoy plenty of rest, do easy exercises like yoga or pilates (nothing hectic please), eat healthily, stop smoking (if you're a smoker).

Best of Luck