I had a large clot in my clavicle artery and it has affected the circulation in my left hand quite severely, causing pain in the hand, wrist and elbow.  Does anyone know if the terrible pain ever goes and what can I take instead of medication to help with the pain?  They have me on warfarin and I feel this has bad side effects.

Hi Guest,

The warfarin is not a pain reliever.  It's to help break up the clot.

The best solution is to treat the cause, the clot, not the symptom, the pain.  Ask your doctors what you can take.  Some medications have side effects when used with blood thinners.  Avoid over-the-counter products unless your doctor recommends them.

Good luck.

What pain killers do you suggest, at the moment I am using over the counter paracetamol. Do you think it is making the pain worse?

Thank you

Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is commonly prescribed. There IS a minor risk of a drug interaction with coumadin however - it may cause increased risk of bleeding.

Many painkillers, have some risks with coumadin. Since we don't know your history, current dosage, etc, I recommend you contact your doctor.