I was admitted into the hospital 3 weeks ago. I was experiencing numbness of the entire body (primarily on my left side), my hands were cramping up and I felt like I was blacking out. The ambulance came to get me and I was brought to Florida Hospital, they quickly ruled out a stroke since I was so young, but focused on MS and Lupus (those tests came back negative). After 3 days they sent me home with no answers. So after 3 weeks of being in and out of the hospital and doctors offices (with minimal feeling and total weakness of my left side), I was sent up to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. After sitting with the neurologist telling him what was going on and him reading my reports he found the answer- I HAD A STROKE! This is the scary part- my stroke was caused by my birth control. He continued to tell me that in the last 6 months he has seen more and more young women (20's and early 30's) that are having strokes and all have one thing in common- YAZ BIRTH CONTROL, which is the brand I am on.
It is nice to finally have an answer, but I still have to go through tests to find out exactly where the clot is/was and if it's still there. He said I may never regain the strength or feeling back on my left side, but that is something we'll have to wait to see. I also can NEVER go on any type of birth control ever again! But I can't imagine not knowing that and still continue to take the Yaz, b/c I would continue to have strokes! If any of you are taking this birth control, please look into switching to another one. I'm not sure if the doctors at Florida Hospital know about this, but they were more focused on MS than they were stroke.

YOUR situation is going to be different than another womans situation!

YOU cannot tell another woman to "Switch birth control", as you are not her doctor, and you do not know what is best for her.

Strokes can happen with ANY PILL, which is why YOU should not use ANY PILL. This could have happened with Alesse, or any other brand.

Do you smoke?
Do drugs of ANY KIND?
Drink?
Have high blood pressure?
Are you overweight?

ALL of these will increase your risk factors for heart attacks and STROKES while on the pill.

carifairy
as you profess to know so much about yaz/yasmin, i recommend you look up a site called createforum dot com/yasminsideeffec
Here you will see that ths pill does cause a high amount of strokes and other problems to women who do not have your above mentioned conditions. How dare you assume that the previous poster have one of those conditions.
I recommend anybody else considering or already taking this pill, have a look at this site also. I am a member there and know full well of the side effects of this pill. Remember doctors and people who profess to be a medical professional arenot always right.
Experiences are what count.

I was also on Yaz and just after 2 months found myself in the hospital (for the very first time) with a blood clot in my leg (a deep vein thrombosis) which had dislodged into my lung (a pulmonary embolism). I would like to add that we do have every right to share our story and warn people what Yaz has done to us. I can say it was caused by Yaz b/c my drs. all ruled out every other cause and have all agreed it was caused by this pill. I was healthy and never been to a hospital in my entire life. I went through 6 days hospitalized running all kinds of tests not to mention leaving me a huge bill that I now owe (and that was with insurance). I am just grateful to god that I did not suffer from a stroke. For 24 hours I was instructed not to move b/c they were concerned that the blood clot would dislodge to my heart and I would stop breathing. So if I want to tell or blog everyone in this entire country not to use Yaz and seek another birth control option then I have every deserving right to do so!! You go through this and then get back to me!!!!

gosh i work in a lab and have noticed an incredible increase in strokes/dvt in young women and they have all been on Yaz. i punched it into the website because of my concern and tagged to these posts.

i do believe that in the very near future we will be seeing a possible yank of this drug.

smoking was not a relevant factor and everyone under 38 years old.

too coincidental for me. and i will pass the word on.

Caution with YAZ!!!!!!!! !

A few days ago, I started getting numbness and tingling in my left arm down from my elbow to my hands and from my left calf down. I've been thinking it is bad circulation, but it has gotten much worse. Today, the tingling has not ceased. When I touch things with my left hand, I get "pins and needles" feelings - but very painful. I called my doctor today, but , I was not able to get to the phone in time when he called back. So, I decided to look up the symptom on the net, and I found these posts related to the birth control pill I just started about 6 weeks ago. Thank you for the info on Yaz. I'm going to stop taking them immediately. (For the reader, I am a healthy, non-smoker, age 31, mother of three.)

I have also had similar problems with the Yaz B.C.P. Since I have been on this pill, which I am on strictly for regulating my periods as I have had a tubal ligation, I feel so weak all the time and extremely tired. I am always bloated and I feel that I struggle to breath causing tightness in my chest. My periods, if they come at all are less regular now than they have ever been. As a woman over 40 I don't feel that the risk is worth taking this pill anymore. I have a family history of heart disease and will be discontinuing effective today.

I just stumbled onto this forum today and ironically I've had the same problem! I've been on Yaz for 3 months now and it hasn't even worked for me the way I expected it to. I wanted a shorter period and it certainly didn't do that plus I had a little bit of a weight gain, and I've been an emotional train wreck ever since I've been on it. I know they advertise that Yaz is supposed to help with the emotional probs and length of period. So about 2 weeks ago my left arm had an extremely numb feeling and at first I had thought that I might have pulled a muscle because I had been lifting some things earlier in the day. so as the day progress it got worse, I went to bed that night and I could barely sleep because it was soo numb & my fingers were tingly, I felt like my arm just completely lost circulation, naturally I freaked out a little bit but at the same time I didn't think anything of it until I saw these posts today. All I know is I'm definitely getting off of these pills. As I was planning to anyway.

Bilateral pulmonary emboli after 6 months on Yaz. I was 41 at the time but am a mother of three, a competitive swimmer, am extremely fit, a non-smoker and have no family history of any kind of blood clotting conditions.

Carifairy, do some research before you start blabbering about something you don't know. Yaz is really crappy stuff.

I am a 27-year old, non-smoker, and have been on Yaz for almost 3 months. I really liked it the first month because I had no side effects, but I've noticed changes since. Lately I have no energy, get moody, low libido, weight gain, etc. Also, I really don't care for how short your periods are - it seems unhealthy. The only good thing that has come out of this is that my complexion is actually really good (I usually have mild-moderate acne). I am really tempted to get off of Yaz because of the side effects - it's starting to kill me and my relationship. However, I'm trying to see if I can win this battle...

In the past, I had tried Orthocyclen for probably a good 2-3 years, and I would NEVER take that again. I had major weight gain, no libido, and was a serious emotional wreck. About a month after I stopped taking it, I felt like a completely different (normal) person.

I too am a 27 year old non smoker. I took Yaz with no complications for 13 months before having a pulmonary embolism three weeks ago. I was in the hospital for six days. My doctors also say it was most likely from the Yaz, although I have not received the results of all of the tests for pre-disposition. I too will be taking coumidan/warfarin for at least six more months. I just wanted to post as another woman who has experienced this. Thanks.

My name is Alex and I am 20 years old. I was on Loestrin 24 for 2.5 years with no serious health problems except that I lost my period. My gyno switched me to yaz and within a month of taking it I developed a pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot in my lung. I was hospitalized for a week and have to be on blood thinners for atleast 6 months. I am trying to compile a list of women to start a class action lawsuit against Bayer Healthcare, which manufactures both Yaz and Yasmin. I have worked at a well respected personal injury law office for the past two years and I know an excellent attorney willing to take on a lawsuit of this magnitude. Class action lawsuits require many many plaintiffs to be effective and heard in a court room. There are thousands of women who have had serious health problems from yaz including blood clots, seizures, strokes, depression, suicidal tendencies, brain damage, lifelong vitamin deficiency, death, and the list goes on. If you have had any serious health consequence due to yaz or yasmin please done hesitate to email me at apopa @eden.rutgers.edu if you are interested in being part of a class action lawsuit. Those who have been injured deserve compensation and there should be adequate warning about these side effects. If you look on their main website, none of the side effects I listed above are on that page. Please email me at the above address with your name and an email address I can reach you at. Thus far between 25 and 30 women have emailed me and I am looking for atleast 50 before I take the list to the lawyer. I hope all are in good health!

I've never had time to be on a forum, however, I have heard miracles and blood clots from this birth control. I'm 38 still smoke and have really serious PMS, my doctor said Yaz is what I need, however, after reading these messages I'm hesitant to even start, any good news?
thanks ladies

I am a 27 year old non-smoking mother of a three year old and 1 year old. I started Yaz in March of 2008 and by April I was in the hospital with a blood clot in my brain which they found after my having had a stroke. After numerous tests and blood thinners (probably for the rest of my life), the only contributing factor seems to be Yaz.
I also know of two other healthy young girls from our small town under the age of 21 who suffered from PE's one of which resulted in death. Both girls had been on Yaz for less than three months.

Ive been on yaz for over a year now, and the past few months have been really rough on me. Ive always been a healthy person: besides the occasional drink I dont smoke or take any drugs. I started vomiting after almost every meal, i have abdominal pain like you wouldnt believe, im constantly tired and constantly depressed, I have other digestive issues (which im sure you don't need to hear about in detail), I get insane migraines and the other day i lost feeling in the right side of my face, my tongue, and my right arm and fingers (temporary, but still really scary considering i thought i had a stroke). Ive completely changed my diet, started taking vitamins like a crazy woman - and still, my symptoms have persisted. Though I plan on contacting my dr before i chalk this all up to a bad birth control - im pretty sure that's the culprit. It's just too coincidental. I hope this helps!