I've got a lot of temporary stresses in my life - hour cuts/lay-offs at work, bankrupcty/foreclosure and looming eviction where I'll have to move a family of 5 and now a custody battle with my husband's ex has been added to the pile. I went to my dr for a UTI infection and when she asked about the 25 lbs I've lost in 6 months I attributed it to stress. I am short with my family - not out of control, I just feel like I'm yelling at them all the time (ages 3, 8 & 9). I am not depressed and zero suicidal thoughts, I'm just a stressed out grouch who can't quiet down her brain enough to fall asleep. I do not want to be on a pill forever. She prescribed zoloft - 25mg zoloft a day (50mg split). She assured me that zoloft is not addictive, but what I'm reading online is contradictory - wean off's are long and could send me into a spiral of depression and end off worse than I started. I've taken 2 days worth of 25 mg zoloft and don't feel any changes yet, but I understand it will take a while. And, if I'm only looking for some help for 4-6 months, won't zoloft be 1 about month before it starts to work, then when I'm ready to wean it may take a couple of months? Also, I feel weird about heading down a road with uncertain benefits. It will take a few weeks to see how it helps, but by that time I'm hooked.

So my question - your opinion, do the cons outweigh the pros?

Thank you.

I personally did not have a very good experience with Zoloft. I seemed to have gotten much worse, and it was really bad, it also took 5 or so weeks for it to even start. I now take prozac. I felt improvement within 2 weeks and it has really changed my life. I am so much better. Good luck!

Guest - I am also in the same situation as you and began taking 25mg of zoloft for situational depression. I have been on it a week and already have begun to feel its effects - I am more mellow and patient with the kids. My fear is that I just wanted a 4-6 month run to help me transition through a rough spot in life and I will perhaps feel worse when I stop the medicine. My goal is to take this good feeling and use it to as motivation to carve out more things in my life that help me produce serotonin (sp?) on my own - exercise, great eating habits, good relationships, etc. - so when I DO stop the pill, I have those things in place to help me manage stress. I will keep you posted. - E

Hi! I m currently going thru divorce as well and work stuff, had to move to my mothers house and I have a child who needs me. I was prescribed Zolof for 4-6 months. Everything u stated is what I would like, did it work for you? How r u doing now?