I had my gallbladder removed in May 09. I am a 69 year old female. I have been steadly gaining weight since the removal, my appetite has increased of course. I have been able to maintain my weight until after my surgery. Could this be caused from the removal. Has anyone else experienced this? I am always hungery.

Its frustrating when you feel the weight piling on, especially now that you can really enjoy food!

Has the type and quantity of food that you eat changed since your surgery?

I actually would like to know answers to the same questions! I have a friend who just got gallbladder surgery and I want to hear more about how you're feeling. Can you answer some questions for me?

Hi Bluedog

Not sure.....was your last post directed at me or the original person who asked the question? :-)

In case it was directed at me..... I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.... fire away!

Regards, Olwen :-D

Yep! It was for you. My friend is pretty uncomfortable and I don't know what he's going to do. Can you tell me what sort of foods are most helpful? I think that would be helpful for him. Thanks!

Hi Bluedog

We might be losing track of the original question in this thread.....so If I've misunderstood in this answer please let me know.

Ask your friend....what are the new foods he can eat since his surgery?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Well my friend is always hungry like the original pesron said. I think he seems to eat just about anything he used to but he doesn't ever feel full. He didn't have a very good diet to begin with though. What do you think would be good for him to eat that keeps him from feeling hungry all the time?

Hi Bluedog

"Hungry all the time". Hmmm. Best go back to basics on this one first: Check the amount of fibre (25-35g/day), protein intake (1g of protein per kilogram of his ideal weight, at least), and ensure no more than six serves of grains in a day (one piece of bread or one biscuit for example is 'one serve'). Plus is he exercising?

But with food its always good to investigate emotional issues too.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer but the issue for him may be more complex than just the type of food.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Olwen, I think that you hit on the answer--he is NOT getting very much fiber. He eats a lot but he's not really getting that much veg or grain. I'm going to ask him to start trying a nice pasta with broccoli and see where that goes. Thanks for your help!! It was very informative.

I have read all the stories on weight gain after gallbladder surgery,I have the same story,but a question no one has brought up? Are both the people,ones who had laser, and ones who had major surgery, are both groups gaining weight? I had major surgery, whereas they took my intestines out,with laser they would stay in, I feel the doctor didn`t put them back inside of me like he found them,and that`s what causing my weight gain, and fat and lumpy protruding ugly stomach. I would appreciate if you all could comment on that issue, maybe we`ll discover that only the major surgery people are gaining weight,cause our intestines were not correctly replaced,looking forward to your comments, thank you, D. Shaughnessy Grants Pass, Or.

Hi, I know you posted this a while ago but I was doing some research and came across this post. I am 20 and have been over weight all my life. In the beginning of 2011 I got on a diet and exercise regimen and was seeing amazing results. September 15th 2011 I had my gallbladder removed and it was inevasive not major surgery. Ever since then i am constantly starving.....not just hungry i am in actually pain from constantly being overly hungry. My weight has been steadily increasing and i am absolutely unhappy about it. Also i get these excruciating pains just like when i use to have my gall bladder attacks. The only thing differeny is when I use to have the gallbladder attacks they were severe to the point where i felt like i was dieing. On a scale of 1-10 they were deffinately a 10. But these pains i get now are about a seven. Still bad to where they make me scream and cry but not to where i feel like im dieing. These are the two problems ive been having since my gallbladder removal and my surger was absolutely inevasive. So if anyone comes across this that has aalny answer please please let me know. Cause ive been through test after test and nothing is coming up. So any information is helpful. Thank You, Sarah

your gallbladder makes a bile that breaks up fat no gallbladder no bile.

Actually, the liver makes the bile. The gallbladder just stores it and releases it. Without the gallbladder, the liver just releases it directly into the intestines. This is why many Docs recommend eating smaller meals more frequently.
BTW, my 22 year old son had his gallbladder removed two months ago after it went very bad, very fast on him. My 51 year old husband had his out yesterday. It was even worse. Both have some First Nations ancestry.

Hi, I would be so interested to know if there is any hope that you know of to stop this weight gain, it doesn't seem right that we are not told of this mess before we had it done..thanks for any advice.

I am 48 and had my gall bladder out 2 months ago and I am hungry all the time too. At first I thought it was connected to my change in diet - much less fat, much more fruits/vegetables, but not sure now.
So far, no weight gain but it is very annoying and would appreciate any insight or suggestions.
Thanks!