Hi. My 3 years old child develops 5 watery loose stools per day. He has no diarrhea and he grows well, but he was diagnosed with toddler`s diarrhea. Doctor told us that no treatment is necessary, that the symptoms will go at the age of 5 or 6. Anyway, I think that malabsorption of food could be the cause of his disease? Anybody?

Hi. My kid had toddler`s diarrhea and that disease is not due to malabsoprtion. The cause is not really understood. But, toddler's diarrhoea is more common in children on a low fat diet. Malabsorption may be cause by an improper diet. You didn`t say much about the symptoms. Gastrontestinal tract symptoms are common for people with malabsorption syndrome. Loose stools with undigested food parts are common for children with toddler`s diarrhea. Pasty stools mean fat malabsorption, or steatorrhea.

Better check for CELIAC SPRUE (WHEAT< GLUTEN INTOLERANCE)!!!