Hi, I have a two months old baby. Everything during pregnancy was fine. On the regular check up the doctor sent me to a specialist of some sort. After a lot of tests he diagnosed my son with cystic fibrosis. It seams that this is a very serious illness. At least that's what I understood from doctor's explanations. However, he was not very wordy and shared very little information about cystic fibrosis with me. I am wondering how my baby got this condition. Can you also please tell me if cystic fibrosis is curable because I didn't understand that part very well?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that your baby has cystic fibrosis. What you need to know is that this illness is genetic. This means that your baby inherited the genes from you and your husband. It seems to me that you were not aware that you are both carriers because you have never heard of cystic fibrosis. Don't think that you are somehow guilty for your baby's condition. There was no way to control what genes your baby will inherit. Cystic fibrosis mostly attacks lungs and pancreas but other organs are exposed to it as well. The illness is causing the build up of thick mucus that disables the organs to work properly. This is why your baby will be getting less nutrition elements than it is required. This will cause your son to develop slower than the rest of the children his age. The mucus is also a good provider of nutrition elements for bacteria so the infections of the affected organs are very common. There is no cure for cystic fibrosis but there are treatments that can keep the infections under control and prolong the life of the person affected by this condition. However, because the medicine nowadays is developing very fast there is a chance that soon a cure for cystic fibrosis will be found.

Hello my name is Drake. I am in the tenth grade and we are learning about cystic fibrosis. i was looking for information and i see that you wrote a comment that your baby has cystic fibrosis and i wanted to tell you about some things that i learned in class. That cystic fibrosis happens if a mothers carries cystic fibrosis. The symptoms ususally begin in the first year of the babies life. Problems may include coughing repeated pneumonia and diarrhea. Some treatmnets for cystic fibrosis are sometime medicine and physical therapy. i hope that you write back to me and i also hope that you like what i have told you about cystic fibrosis and i hope that you wirhte back to me soon!!!!