When I get overly hungry and do not eat in a certain amount of time, I get diarrhea. This includes night time, so I need to get up and eat something. Protein seems to help the most, if I eat something with protein in time. I had my gall bladder out 18 years ago -- not sure if this is pertinent. Please help ~

Well, the most common cause of diarrhea is a virus that infects the gut. The infection usually lasts for two days and is sometimes called stomach flu. Diarrhea may also be caused by: Infection by bacteria, Infections by other organisms, Eating foods that upset the digestive system, Allergies to certain foods, Medications, Radiation therapy, Diseases of the intestines, Malabsorption, Hyperthyroidism, Some cancers, Laxative abuse, Alcohol abuse, Digestive tract surgery, Diabetes, Competitive running. Diarrhea may also follow constipation, especially for people who have irritable bowel syndrome. Studies have found as few as one in 100 people undergoing gallbladder surgery or as many as one in three develop diarrhea. The diarrhea may last for years. Treatments you and your doctor may consider for controlling your diarrhea include: Anti-diarrheal medications, Medications that impair absorption of bile acids. I hope this will help you.

Thank you for your reply -- I so appreciate that. I am at a loss with this stuff, as my body just doesn't seem to absorb what it has eaten. Now I'm not able to eat much at a time, and must eat OFTEN. I am taking Cuestra (polylalaline?), which is helpful, but not completely, and I'm not sure what should be done next. The gastroenterologist I have seen wants to do a colonoscopy, which would probably about kill me off, and it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do anyway. If you have any time for a reply, I would appreciate it beyond belief -- no foods trigger the diarrhea and feeling crappy -- it's NOT eating. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU HAVE -- I AM SO COMPLETELY GRATEFUL FOR ANY WORDS/DIRECTION POSSIBLE HERE -- THANK YOU!!

You should listen to your gastroenterologist and go through colonoscopy. Conditions that call for colonoscopies include gastrointestinal hemorrhage, unexplained changes in bowel habit and suspicion of malignancy. Colonoscopies are often used to diagnose colon cancer, but are also frequently used to diagnose inflammatory bowel disease. If anything abnormal is seen in your colon, like a polyp or inflamed tissue, the doctor can remove all or part of it using tiny instruments passed through the scope. That tissue (biopsy) is then sent to a lab for testing. There really is no reason to not go through with it.

2 week's ago I pulled a muscle bellow my but cheeck I was having spasm I went to the er and they gave me pain and spasm pills well the pain conspateded me I have ibs gasarightous chronic constipation I take minamuso milax after every meal it didn't help . I clean my self out yesterday today I had diarrhea why is that and what can I do to start eating again, ?

Wow, I don't have an answer for you, but I had to reply because what you experience sounds similar to what I am experiencing. I have been through the FODMAP diet to see if I am sensitive to a certain foodgroup (fructose, glucose, wheat etc) and I am not! However what I did discover is that if I either skip a meal or eat it, say, 2 hours late that I will have diahrrea and stomach cramps the next time I do eat. Today it was about 1/2 an hour after eating my lunch which I should have eaten 2 or so hours earlier than I did. Also stress does seem to bring it on too which ade me think at first it was IBS. I have explained this to both my doctor and my dietist who don't really seem to find any link with the delayed eating part. I'm turning to the internet in the hope someone out there can explain it as I believe its a crucial clue to a diagnosis.

In his case it's something very different,but you all become MD's when asked a question.

Let them answer. You had to go and put your no sense in it now didn't you? 

I am facing the same problem, if i anyhow skip meal , i get loose motion. Dont know what to do .