My six year old daughter has a large distended belly, and has had this issue for many years. There are mornings when it is not distended, but almost every day several hours into the day, it becomes distended. She had been diagnosed and treated for urniary reflux, (diagnosed after repeated bladder infections) but has been cleared of that. She is a healthy child (fairly petite, except for her belly) who gets regular exercise and eats relatively well - fruits, occassional veggies, proteins, etc. Under ultrasound, it became clear that it is gas. Any suggestions? (We've tried the standard over the counter remedies - like tums.)

Thank you so much!

kbh

Has she been diagnosed as lactose intolerant? My now 3 yr old was lactose intolerant, with diarrhea too. No dairy products for him. Then i found out the Soy milk could cause gas on the stomach from an aquaintance. So i took him off of the Soy milk, and the swelling went down. :-D

My friends little girl had the same thing and she was told she can not have glutten.. It is a disorder and I can not think of the name they actually just did an article in people about it. They say it is hard to diagnois unless the person knows they are looking for I would ask to have your child check for (celiac disease).. his little girls stomach was just like that..

My daughter, who is also 6! has had the same condition since she was a baby. Poor thing has been tested for coeliac annually via blood tests and has undergone an endoscopy and colonoscopy as well b/c it was so distended. Nothing has helped. Turns out she is not coeliac. Has no lactose intolerance or allergies. She starts out in the morning with a completely flat abdomen like a 6 pack but as the day goes on she looks pregnant. I've just read an article in The Daily Mail about children with bloating and it says that high fibre diets in children can cause this if they are succeptible to gas! (i.e. if you give them granery bread, muesli, dried fruit, lots of fresh fruit and beans etc.. etc..). Says to lower their fiber intake to help. I'm going to try it and see if it helps. Very counter intuitive as I thought I was being healthy! Hope this helps!

Hey guys. My nephew has been through the same thing, for a few weeks now. I don't know what to do. We are planning on visiting a specialist. I am afraid because this can be literally anything, from lactose intolerance to inflamed appendix, and that is what worries me the most. How does your child feel now? I have read that due to distended stomach plenty of diseases can be diagnosed. I will urge to give child's blood and stool sample, also a full body examination, endoscopy if needed because we have waited for too long. It also could be an allergy. 

My daughter has the same issues. She's 5.5. Have her tested for SIBO via a breath test. My daughter tested positive (after years of bloating). She said been on and off medication for it and it seems to be better when she's on antibiotics. We are still working thru it but very happy to have found a potential culprit. SIBO stands for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Good luck

How do they do I breathe test is it smell

Do probiotics help?

Hi can you please tell if this bolating issue of ur daughter has been sorted out. My son is also facing similar issue

My 6 yr old son also always has a distended stomach. Has this resolved for anyone?