This is a short report because I am not at all happy with the results. I have had a nagging little cough for about 10 days and I wrote it off to allergies. It is the height of allergy season here and a little drainage resulting in a bit of coughing is normal.

Things went well until about mile 7. I went to take a deep breath and just exploded in a coughing fit. Whenever I went to breathe deep I would cough and hack. Then I realized I was breathing shallow just so I wouldn't trigger a cough.

My PR was set at this race last year--2:12.

Today I finished in 2:36 and was just happy to have the damned thing over with. First time I have ever seriously taking a DNF. And I am now walking around the house coughing--it is a dry cough :(

At least you finished Alan. Now rest up and take it easy for a while. Sounds like you need a break

:1:
It is always a tough call when it is your health and not just race pain. Rest up, you'll be breaking records in no time.

I'm sorry your 1/2 did not go as planned. The most important
thing is to take care of yourself. No doubt there are plenty more
1/2 marathons with PR potential in your future.

:toobad:

Hey, you did great job considering you were sick! I think this has happened to many of us. My 2nd 5K I was sick and ran it anyway. It was 3 months after my first 5K. I had trained well for it, and I was 30 seconds slower that my first 5K. I told myself I could not be disappointed if I didn't break that PR. Well, I felt just horrible and was sick to boot. So, yeah, I know it sucks, but you should still be proud you completed the race. We're proud of you!

Shelly

Alan, way to tough it out :thumbsup: You did better than pr, you finished a race when your body was screaming for you to stop. That is 10 times harder than running a pr.

Don't sweat it. Next race, when you feel healthy, you will do that much better, and your new pr will be all the more satisfying.

Good job, my friend.

:1: It just wasn't in the cards today.

:1: And maybe some meds too.

would you have felt worse if you dnf. I personally would rather finish poorly than dnf. I know it is a cliche' but at least you finished.

There will always be another race. It shows a tremendous amount of resolve that you decided to finish even though you had diminished breathing capacity!

Hope you feel better very soon. :D

Sandy

P.S. Do you take anything for your allergies?

:1:
Alan, that sounds exactly like me for the last week and just like my performance at my 5k saturday! :( I think everything around here is in FULL bloom and its not doing me any favors!
Are you taking anything for allergies/asthma? Be careful and don't put off the dr. visit, I have for over a week and finally went today to findout I have bronchitis, as well as get prescribed 2 more asthma meds, an antibiotic, steroids, chest xray.....
I hope it gets better soon! And no worries, your time was still better than mine in Houston!!

I take Allegra and flonase, every day....but didn't Sunday morning. But I don't think this cough is allergy related. Pretty sure now I have a chest cold.

I'm with everyone else. From someone who's never ran a 1/2 I think it's downright amazing that you stayed in the race, alan!

congrats buddy!

Hope you're feelin better,

joel

Can't say it any better than those above. Nice resolve to stick with it through the finish. Another PR another day, I'm sure.