how do you define this?

i get to a point in every 5K where i am "uncomfotably comfortable" and just hold it at that. i have a feeling that i could push harder, especially at the end (last .5 mile) but i never do. i always just stay where i'm at. the uncomfortable level is determined by my wind, or loss of.

why do i refuse to push myself, or am i pushing myself at the uncomfortable level i reach?? i guess i figure there's no real point in killing myself, risking injury or barfing at the line --- but then, after i cross i realize i coulda done better.

is this universal, or just unique to a stick in the mud??

how do you know you've had enough and you need to pull back or you can push through??? guess i'm afraid of making a big giant ass of myself. but I wanna do better every time??? what's up with me??

I have that thought everytime, rr. 'Dammit! I could've ran faster at the 2.3 mile mark!' The ONLY time I pushed myself was when a fellow runner stayed on me, almost demanding that I keep up with him! Sure, I didn't like it that much at the time, but I sure appreciated his 'rough love' after the race (pr'd it). That's all I have to add. I'll be interested in what some of the veterans have to say about this one... joel

I guess you can always look back on every race you run and think I could have done it differently. Its easy to second guess yourself. To me just finishing a race is most important, PR's and hardware are a bonus.

Competition is a good motivator!
I have found I always push myself harder during a race when I a running with a friend or a competitor I know has similiar times as I do.
Most of my pr's are a result of fierce competition!
I think mentally preparing for a race is sometimes as important as the physical training.

I race my race; but, always finish on empty.

If you ain't barfin', you ain't racin'.

I think you just might have answered your question right here.

I try that most races but I don't hit that stage very often.

i set two goals for every race
the time i would LOVE to finish in
and the one i would like to finish in

i can almost always pick my time with in a few seconds (for shorter) and minutes for longer...

I saw some poor kid lose it after the T-Day 10K. :puke:
I try to never get to that point, but in my 2nd ever 5K, I hit the 'almost gonna puke' point before the chute and had to slow waaaaay down to keep from losing it. A ton a people passed me then.
Just keep on racing RR and I'm sure you'll be able to define where your 'dis'-comfort zone is better.

This is me exactly.

I can remember a few years into my running getting to a decent level and wanting to hang with the big boys in a 5km. For awhile I wrestled with just what you're talking about, wondering what would happen. Well, I wasn't too concerned about injuries when I was young, but I figured the worst that could happen was maybe I'd black out or something. Crash and burn maybe the second worst. I can even today remember that first race I really let it all hang out. My coach was shaking his head at the one mile split since I was within 10 seconds of our top guys. I didn't care, this was my experiment. I did crash and burn compared to the top guys, but I was within a minute, it was exhilarating. After the finish, I was gasping like a choked dog, I stammered around and my legs shook like crazy. That day I learned to race with a purpose. I haven't been able to translate that to a marathon yet, but anything shorter I still go at like it's a bat outta hell stampede to the finish. Injuries, vomit, comfort ..it all gets pushed aside. I can't say exactly how, but if there's one place I'd want to be injured or toss cookies, it'd be racing.

I've only run a few races. First off, if you have a PR, look at your watch during the race and try to break the old PR. You need to have a goal out there, especially if you're a new runner because there are going to be a lot of people who pass you. You may as well make your competition yourself.

Now I've started competing with that little pack I end up with. I try like crazy not to let them pass me. And around the last mile, I look to my right and left and will not let that runner(s) by me pass me, and I always have a good race with one of them before the finish line (this is going to get the bored crowd going and give you a great incredible rush). When they speed up, I go faster. I remember my last race, my husband said the woman who I came up on and then raced neck and neck to the finish looked pissed. That made me feel really good.

During your run, look at the group ahead of you. I look at the group just ahead of me and think to myself: it won't be long before I'm running with them. And that becomes my new goal.

Shelly

Thats great!!

especially this part!!!
i do the "pack" thing too. my last 5K, all i did was pass people. from the start to finish. it was just a very steady, increasing pace for the whole race. nobody passed me--but i still only finished in 25 something.
it was all about seeing that leader and knocking him/her off and i just did it everytime. i guess i just don't know about getting a race pace and holding it. i truly don't want to ralph - i am a mother of two remember and they'd be so proud of me if i hurled at the line i guess it's about training more at the "push yourself" pace.
i need to feel more comfortable at that uncomfortable level so i can push it even further. ?????
nice finish though Shelly!

It's gotta be the hormonal changs from running 8O because I was never competitive until I started running.
Anyway, sounds like you are pushing yourself if no one is passing! And 25 time for a 5K is good! That's the PR I'M working in order to break one of these races. How long have you been running?
My first 5K I thought: Huh, I think I could have run that faster, but then I saw the pictures. I looked tired.
And about hurling: I had a disappointing race where my direction dyslexia kicked in (not really but I'm horrible with directions), and I THOUGHT there was only a mile left and began running like a bat out of hell and, to my astonishment, I came by another mile marker (the one for my race not the 5K race!) and had several miles to go. After the sprinting and huge disappointment, I thought I was going to hurl, but then when I slowed down I really thought I was going to hurl. I did a kind of jog walk to regain some energy. I really messed up that race big time.
Sounds like you're doing really well out there! :)
Shelly