Long Race Story:
The weather was overcast, very windy and a cool 52F degrees. This was perfect for me because I ve become pretty fond of running in the cold. It was also fun wearing shorts and a T-shirt while so many others at the starting line were bundled up in full length tights, jackets, mittens and still complaining about how cold they were. The course was well laid out, a net downhill with the first 7 miles undulating hills followed by a fairly flat finish. I wasn t sure how I d do today because I made a decision over the summer to slow my training paces down while trying to increase mileage a little. I was afraid that the expression train slow, race slow would come back to haunt me. I got off to a slow start fighting through the crowd on my first mile and then overcompensated by running a ridiculously fast (at least for me) second mile. I eventually found my stride somewhere during mile three and was shocked for the next few miles that I seemed to be keeping my pace consistently below 8:00 miles. By mile nine I was starting to have pipe dreams about 1:40:00 and couldn t believe how good I felt. My pipe dreams came crashing to reality toward the end of mile ten as my legs started giving me that dead feeling. At this point I decided to stop looking at my watch, put my head down and just gut it out to the finish. I was getting passed by a lot of people on the last mile as I barely chugged along but managed to kick it into gear (sort of) for the last mile around the Ontario provincial legislature where the big crowds had gathered to cheer people on. Crossed the finish with a gun time of 1:46:18, chip time 1:45:03. A PR by a minute and 40 seconds. If you had told me at the beginning of the day that would be my time I would have been happy but after running such a good first 10 miles I was disappointed that I tanked on the last 3.1. But a PR is a PR and this course was a little more difficult than my first half that I ran in May (both are pretty easy courses though).

Short Race Story:
1:45:03 (chip time), 8:01 avg pace, second ever half marathon and a personal best.

Mile Splits:
1 8:46
2 7:16
3 8:09
4 7:49
5 7:47
6 7:42
7 7:31
8 7:51
9 7:57
10 through finish 34:15 (8:21 avg pace) Garmin lost signal in the tall downtown buildings but I know mile 10 was barely sub 8:00 and I m guessing the last 2 miles were in the neighbourhood of 9:00.

Congrats on the PR and great performance Steve! :thumbsup:

Great job :thumbsup:

Most excellent job! Congrats on the PR! :thumbsup:

So far as you go, TO, congratulations on the PR! I do want to ask a few things though, if you can answer them. One of the 'thons I'm looking at next fall would be one of the two in Toronto. Have you run either? If you have, or even atttended them, what are the strengths of each - water stops, crowd support, the usual sorts of things. I've been to both websites, and know they both have about the same number of runners.

If you can provide any insights, it would be appreciated! Congrats again on a solid performance. :thumbsup:

Good job Steve.

Wow, excellent race Steve! Congrats on the new PR!!!! :dance2:

Congratulations on the PR, that's an excellent half TOsteve!

:cheers:

Good race Steve and :thumbsup: on the pr.

Good goin'! Ride the PR wave now, ya done did good. Having the time sapper of a newborn in the house is a definite training distraction. Pulling yourself into PR shape is uber runnin' my man. :thumbsup:

Funny, Mrs TOsteve sees running as a the time sapper.
But thanks, it has been much more of a challenge to get my training runs in since the baby arrived. I'm looking forward to spring when I can start making use of the jogging stroller (which I prefer to call a running stroller).

Excellent race! Congrats on the PR!!!

Nice job on the PR!

PR!!

WAY TO GO!!!

Nice job on the PR