Beautiful Morning for a Marathon, temp at racetime was a perfect 53 F. I hesitatingly decided to run today, knowing full well that my training has lacked focus, and I have not put in the proper mileage, especially over the past month and a half or so.

Starting horn sounded:
mile 1 7:15 (too fast)
mile 2 8:26 (too Slow)
mile 3 7:41 (better)
mile 4 7:48
mile 5 7:39
mile 6 7:47
mile 7 8:17 (including pee break)
mile 8 7:51
mile 9 7:50
mile 10 7:51
mile 11 8:02
mile 12 7:54
mile 13 7:48
Half 1:43! I am on track to run a 3:26 marathon! :dance1: I feel great!

mile 14 7:56
mile 15 7:47
mile 16 7:47
mile 17 7:56
mile 18 8:03
mile 19 9:14 what's this?
mile 20 7:46 (that's better)
mile 21 8:34
mile 22 9:08 (why do my legs feel so funny? :? )
mile 23 9:40
mile 24 10:32 (who jumped on my back? :? )
mile 25 11:13 (must...keep...running... :x )
mile 26 11:39 (only two...hundred...yards...to go.......)
Finish 3:42:11

Overall, I am pretty pleased with my time (I knocked 28 minutes off of my first), but I also know that had I trained properly, I could have finished in the 3:20's.

The commentary near the end of the race is classic! Good job Monk! :banana:

WOO HOO!!! A M A Z I N G, monk. Simply amazing. The progress you've made is remarkable and my hat goes off to you for that excellent time!

Now go grab some beers and celebrate!!!

joel

Thanks guys. Right now I need a walker and one of the beer funnel hats though. I am one hurting puppy.

Great Job Monk! You are on your way to a 3:20.

I've got a 1/2 Mary on the 25th in Madison and I'm definitely devoting this upcoming week to some serious speed work. What kind have you been doing, monk?
A few different types. One I can think of off the top of my head was we would run a 400m, jog 100; run 600m jog 100; run 800m, jog 100; run 600m jog 100m; run 400, jog 100m... Do these fast but controlled. Or you can do hard 400's with 100m's between. There are lots of variations (runners's world might have some other programs). With speed work, you should probably limit it to one or at most, two days a week, and none on the week of a race. What it will do is, well, make you faster. I find that my 'easy' pace is much faster than it used to be as a result. I think it trained my legs to turn over faster.

great day to run monk. Nice times too. Really got tired at 24 miles, awesome

Great job! I admire anyone who runs 26.2 miles. Thanks for the entertaining report.

Looks like it shaped up nicely! :banana: on a Pr!! Good going and post some run reports on your road to Richmond.

Great race. Well under 4 is always a good day 8)

WOO HOO! way to go!

This does not surprise me at all. First thing I thought when I met you was "My god, this guy really looks like a runner". You've worked hard to get where you are - even though you fell short of your goal, it's mighty impressive nonetheless.

Great Job Monk!

Awesome time!

Nice report, Monk. Great job! You should be really proud.