Teh Riffraff Relay team of Rolling Rock, Roughausen, Shelee, Kimba and my self put up a fine performance in cruising to a 3:25:xx good for 34th place out of 465 teams in our division. The four wimmins did so well I wasn't even expecting Kim to come thru the relay point as early as she did and we lost a few seconds while dipstick here got his act together. I awoke at 4:30 a.m. race morning and after firing off the coffee pot decided to check the radar. Not good - much dark green and even some yellow heading our way. The weatherman didn't miss it this time either. It was cold and it rained most of the race. We left my house in two vehicles right at 6 a.m. with Roughausen coming from the opposite direction and parking right near her relay point. Uneventful drive, great parking thanks to Kim remembering where to park. A stroll around Canal Park in the dark, skirting the sleeping bum on the sidewalk and we finally found the start area Rolling Rock was our lead off runner so we got her situated and Shelee warmed up with her. Then it was off to find the shuttle buses so that Shelee could get to her relay point. Shelee and Dan safely on a bus, Kim and I strolled up to see if Roughausen had made her relay point okay. Discussed with some local dude who was bringing his trash can in from the curb the coincidence of this race and the NY Marathon both being exactly 26.2 miles. He seemed pretty amazed by this fact. Found Sarah and chatted a bit, helped Kim into her garbage bag raincoat. We gave Sarah an approximate time of Shelee's arrival headed back to the shuttle buses. Kim got on her bus and left, I shot the breeze with the woman who lives next door to me who was waiting on a bus also. As I got ready to go get my bus a young lady who had already finished her leg of relay got off a bus and proceeded to yack all over the sidewalk for about 10 minutes. Better there than on the bus I guess. Like I said, Kim came thru the chute looking for me because I wasnt' expecting her yet but we didn't lose more than a few seconds. My leg of race was pretty uneventful other than the wind being directly in my face most of the 7.6 miles and the rain being pretty much unrelentless. 49 - 50 degs made for one cold assed runner within 10 minutes of the race ending. My gf came thru for us after we got home by bringing over a big pot of hot vegetable soup. I don't think a shower ever felt so good as finally getting out of the cold damp weather. I had a terrific time, it was a lot of fun talking with everyone and we laughed a lot.

A great effort by all five of you guys. A great showing to the running forums community

Results are up-67 place out of 662 teams-I think we did pretty good!
Did we beat the guys with the T shirt "it seemed like a good idea at the bar..."

It was a cold and windy morning. It sprinkled on and off and then rained during most of our legs. We got Sue to the starting line, and then Rob and I were able to wait around and cheer her as she came back through the city. We then walked over and saw Roughausen at her relay point. That was cool to be able to hit some of the relay points without much walking around.
I got on my bus and it seemed like it took a long time to get there...I kept looking at my watch. The first relay runners were just coming through so I went off for a 1/4 mile jog to warm up.
It's tough being a relay runner in the cold!! Everyone just wanted to run, you could feel the impatience of everyone. I ran into one friend, Julie, and chatted with her while I waited. Finally, I heard "5283" and peeled off my remaining Tshirts so I could run in my blaze orange singlet. Roughhausen saw me waiting and we had a sucessful hand off.
I took off quickly, mainly because I was cold and busting to run. It was a pretty good run. In no time at all I was at the top of the hill-wow, that's what three miles feels like . I actually crested the hill and the temperature dropped five degrees-we didn't have the wind in the valley that I climbed out of.
I also realized I have about 1/4 of a mile still to go the relay point-argh!!!
So I start sprinting, thinking Rob's going to be ready to snatch the wristband from me. I hit the chip mat and keep going , looking for our 5200 corral-wherethehell is ROB??? I'm scanning the crowd, and then I scream "ROB" at the top of my lungs. I see him then coming at me from farther down the course--I think I surprised him by showing up sooner than expected . Oh well, that was his five seconds from his leg!!

I turn in my chip and then ran the 10K leg back to the stadium to get a couple more miles in for the day.

I think we turned in a great performance, we met all of our goals!!

You guys did fantastic. I can't wait to read the rest of the team report! Sounds like a good time, cept for the rain n cold. :h:

BIB 5283 :wavey: I drove to rob's house friday night where i met my teammates kimba, roughausen and shelly (and hubby dan) for the first time. we go to the expo, pick up packets, get our morning plan together and call it a day. wake up at 5 AM, coffee and light breakfast and wait for rob to pick me up (i was staying with his mom who lives close to rob). the drive in to race was dark, chilly, windy and spitting rain :umno: long sleeves or short sleeves long sleeves or short sleeves----SLAP ME. it's short sleeves and shorts in spite of the temps and forecast. rob and kim get us parked and situated at the start line, big crowd, music, and the roadrunner mascot walking around this is my first race of 2006 and i find myself standing at the start line of the Akron Marathon after a quick warm up with shelly. 8O i'm a little nervous and cold. with high hopes i line up with the 3:30 marathon pace group. off we go and i manage to stay just in front of them till mile 3 and then they pass me and i think....pace schmace, what the heck is he running now? not that my pace slowed or anything hey! wait up! anyway, i didn't maintain my position with that group but didn't fall far behind them either. slight ups and downs, thru the city of akron, very wide roadways, no crowding, following the blue line and feeling wind and rain in my face for the whole way. it seemed no matter which way we turned, we were into the wind :umno: i didn't wear my watch as i can no longer read it when i run i saw clocks at miles 1-4 and was holding around 8:10 i thought. missed the mile 5 clock and was happy to see the mile 6 marker and clock; i was still looking for 5! handoff point was really crowded, a narrower residential street. they're calling bib numbers as i get near the chute. i think i see shelly up ahead, i take off my bracelet and run towards this girl, and the woman in front of me snaps her bracelet on her and she takes off. OK, so that's not shelly then i do see the "real" shelly, i hand her the yellow band and she's gone. i believe the time on the clock was 50:something when i went thru the chute. i was shooting for a 50 minute 10K so i felt okay about this. sat on a curb in the rain for about 10 minutes before i realized i needed to find a shuttle bus back to the start line. i turned in my chip, got on the bus and found the stadium where i waited for the rest of my team mates to finish. thank you to rob for organizing this whole event and asking me to participate. :wavey: thanks to his mom :wavey: for letting me to stay at her house and huge thanks to kathy :wavey: for providing postrace soup and homemade cookies which couldn't have tasted better after 3 plus hours in the chilly damp weather. rob's son probably felt the aliens had landed in his living room! the relay aspect of this experience was great, the marathon was well organized, and the postrace gathering at rob's was the best.

Excellent Susan! Great reports from all.

How fun would that be!!!! Sounds like a great time! I wouldn't want the wind so much...the rain wouldn't bother me if it weren't cold! 8O

Ya'll did fantastic! :thumbsup:

Teh Riff Raff was an excellent group to run with. The day was so damp and chilly, but the team really came through well. RR was the first one out, and she was right on with the pace she thought she'd run (I bet she'd have taken a minute off that time if the weather were better). Her hard work training really paid off in this race.

I was second and was about a minute slower than I wanted, running an 8:17 pace, :( ...but I was feeling really crappy...ah...literally..., so I was glad just to finish my leg of the race. The first 2 miles of the 5K were good, but the last mile was a struggle. My DH really pulled me through and kept me going, despite the alluring portapits...yikes...

Roughausen was waiting for me at the start of her leg and took off. Kimba, that nut, just kept going after her trade off with Rob. Rob really took the team home, running fast as he usually does. From Roughhausen on, it sounds as if the course got very hilly...obstacles from which I was glad Rob kept me far away!

The hospitality shown by Rob, his family, and GF, was wonderful. His GF's soup was delish and his family were great people to spend a day with shooting the breeze. I really enjoyed getting to know RR, Kimba, and Roughausen better. Warm, friendly people and very dedicated runners. Kimba, her passion for the sport was so evident as she talked and as I got to know her better.

Thanks, everyone! I had a great time.

:wavey:

:wavey:
Wow, I don't know what I can add to what already has been said! What a great weekend :D Great people, great food and great running. It doesn't get better than that

The nitty gritty. I have never done a relay before and was kind of nervous about this. Whenever I get nervous about something, I start dreaming the SCHOOL dream. Does anyone ever have this? You know, where you are back in school, running across campus trying to find the math class you thought you dropped but ended up not, and now had to find the classroom to take the final. Well, I had that dream all week, with the weird twist of trying to find my relay partner to hand the baton off to, but I didn't know what she looked like.
Yes, I'm strange

Anyhow, imagine how weird it was to find out on Friday that my leg of the relay would run right through the center of the University of Akron campus :umno:

I felt much better after I got to meet Shelee (runner #2) on Friday night and now knew who I would be looking for at the exchange point.

I made it to the relay point, Shelee came through right at the rob's predicted time and I was off. After my run through the U of A campus, the course went down hill to the Towpath trail. Nice and scenic and crushed limestone. I hit the relay point and passed the bracelet off to Kim. Looked at my watch and it said 45:29 8O That's a new pr for the 10k distance. Felt like it too. It took me a good 10 minutes to stop breathing like an obscene phone caller!

Took the shuttle back to the finish line and found Shelee, Dan and Sue. We sat around and that's when I realized it was COLD! We saw rob finished and headed back to robs for some great food and a hot shower.

Thanks to my team mates for making this happen. You are all a fast bunch and it was an honor to be a part of Teh RiffRaff :D

It was great to meet everone. Special thanks to rob, his mom and his gf for their super hospitality. You made this a day to remember!

Sarah

Gosh that was fun! Thanks everyone for the great reports and making like we were really there! Almost. You guys did a fantastic job and shold be proud of yourselves. I am! :thumbsup:

thanks JU! i would recommend a relay to anyone. this was the best kinda stuff!

Great job!

OMG!! you guys sound like you had a blast AND ran well. AWESOME :thumbsup: you guys. sorry about the crappy weather. when the rain started on my trip to the start line i thought you guys and the forecasted weather report.

I loved reading this report and everybodies take. Great job team