So tell me:

What if you're in a large race, say a 5K with 3500 entrants, and they have chip timing, but no mat at the start. There's a potential to be starting 5 minutes back from the line. You start your watch when you cross the line, and according to your watch, you beat your current PR by 2 minutes, but because you weren't on the line when you started, your official time is 2 minutes slower than your current PR. Is it still a PR?

Please discuss.

I'd say yes. You still ran the full amount of the 5K and beat that time, right? You just added on a brief 'warm up' before you crossed the line.

Personal records are always whateve the watch reads :D

:1:
Whether in a race or on your most run 5 mile course.

PR=start line to finish line.

Exactly. This was something you had nothing to do with. It was out of your control. PR it is!

YES! :thumbsup:
And that's all I have to say about that

Personal records are always whatever the watch reads :D
:1: I always used my watch time.

Oh good!

Thanks!

i would like to say, yeah, i mean the others are right. but this happened to me at my canterbury race in madison, a 5K. i had to dash into java juice, lol, for a quick pit stop right before the race adn ended up behind walkers. it took at least a minute to just cross teh strart line and then to fight my way past a zillion runners. anyway, i'm still bitter, lol! really! i was sick that day, and i think in all honesty i had a new pr, but i won't count it. if it's not written, i can't be sure. i mean i looked at my watch but wasn't very precise about the timing.

I'd call it a PR!
Which calls for a:

:coach: way to go!

THat is kind of surprising for a race with 3500 people there wasnt a mat at the start but since you started your watch when you hit the start line I say count it!

This race hasn't actually happened yet - however, since I haven't run a 5K in quite some time, I fully expect to set a PR. It's the Freihofer's Run For Women, and if you look at their site, the give a spiel - something about USATF championship race guidelines. :shrug:

I see no point in having chip timing with only a mat at the finish line. Dumb - just use chute protocol! But if this is the stupid case, PR it is.

Especially if you trip a certain someone.

:fubby: