It was a long slow process (not sure my official time yet but the clock I think said 2:46 when I went under it) but I made it and I'm so proud! I'm slow always, but that time is slower than I normally would have wanted. However, considering my circumstances of late (training sporadic at best, no eating for a week....), I was really just hoping for anything under 2:50!! And hey, I did it--without walking (well, I walked the water stops but you know...)!

It was 30s-ish when it started but warmed up quick. It was sluggish at the start as is probably normal, just because of the crowds. Then slow for the first few miles maneuvering the run/walkers (there is a local training program that trains hundreds for the marathon using a 5 min run, 1 min walk method and I apparently was right in the midst of them for the first 3-4 miles!) I felt great, strong, no pain until about mile 8 (where some friends were cheering me on!) I really started to wear down. The week of not really eating sort of caught me and my knees were aching and walking seemed virtually impossible so I just kept running (much easier!). I saw my friends again at 10 then just kept telling myself "Just a 5k left, no big deal, a 5k!" although that was one hellish 5k!! I really slowed down a ton but never stopped running. We made a turn somewhere between 10-11 and met up with the marathon course again, I got there in time to meet up with the marathon leaders and got to cheer on the first woman as we approached downtown. Very very inspiring. Along the way to the finish I saw my friends (again!) and my mom, sprinted in with some bizarre adrenaline rush then burst into tears like a loon! then got sick but we don't need to get into that! But it was incredible. I can't wait for my next one. I'll post pictures when I get access to them. After doing that I can't imagine doing the whole! Hats off to those of you who have done them! :bowdown:
Anyway, the weather turned out to be gorgeous and just perfect. The course was great, tons of fans and spectators, I actually saw several people I knew, both cheering and running! And we had salsa and tejano music to pump us along at several points (funny is seeing everyone around you fall into a cadence with the latin rhythms....)
I can't wait til next year (when I actually run faster than the fast walkers.... )
:banana:

now time for a snooze!

AWESOME! Congrats! :dance1:

Cheryl that is just fantastic :banana: .

:fubby: First of MANY! Good going, ya done us proud. Which halfM was this one? Sounds like it's well done.

Great job. You did it.
sorry you couldnt take a nap after the race

Way to go Cheryl! Great first half-marathon!

:thumbsup: and :banana:

Alright Cheryl! Great job!!!!!

:dance2: :cheers:

Congratulations on your finish!! sounds like a great course and your fan support was excellent!!

and it does really really really make you respect that 26.2 miles and all those RRers who run it :bowdown: imagine crossing the line and then repeating the entire thing...........huh? what??

Good on ya, Cheryl!

Hey Cheryl !!!! Great job!!! I couldn't be prouder if you had won the darn thing! I think you did excellent considering all the difficulties you mentioned! Are you planning on the half again next year or the marathon? I may try the marathon as I hear it's a flat course! Oh and please disregard my PM from earlier. I was looking in the wrong place for your race report. I mean who would have ever expected it to be posted on the Run and Race Reports board? HaHaHa I fear my new girlfriend is a bad influence on me as I don't remember having these blond moments before! HeHe

Woohoo! Sista Cheryl. I'm so impressed. Congratulations on
a great job. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Thats exactly what went through my mind during that grueling 5k!! I thought "My friends doing the full now have to do this all over again??????" 8O (which, I'm happy to report they both finished the full with great times!)
All I know is I'd like to post a slightly more, um, competitive, uh, time for a half before I attempt the full....(I don't know....trim 45 minutes or so??? ) but I really had a great time.
Thanks everyone!

It's nice to know that no everyone is burning the pavement...I plan on doing my first half in may, and all I am concerned about is finishing in half way decent shape......probably about 2:30....my husband who is an avid runner can't understand it, but I think we have different reasons for running.

Wow!! Congrats...what a sense of accomplishment!

You crossing the finishing line---->

Great job, Cheryl! I'm so proud of you!!!

joel