Hello! I have recently been diagnosed with a tumor on my kidney. I am of course very scared although my doctor convinces me that it is benign and I should not worry. I don’t know much about medicine but I know that tumor is never good. So what is the best solution for the benign tumor on my kidney- should I have it removed?

Hi! I must tell you that the choice whether to remove it or not is not yours. Your doctor and the medical team around him make such decisions and you have to put your faith in them. I know a person who also had a benign tumor on her right kidney and she had it removed since it caused some bleeding. But that was two years after she was first diagnosed. Before that she had some intervention called embolization which stopped some previous bleeding too. Yet, you could not have the same type as she did, so it is best to ask your doctor all the things you think you should know.

I agree that you should ask your doctor what the worst scenario might be and if it could happen that you will have to remove the tumor or the kidney. I guess that loosing that kidney would be the worst thing that could happen but I also think that it is highly unlikely since benign tumors don’t attack healthy cells like cancer. Yet I am no expert, it is better to talk to the real doctor about your fears.

Hi. I was just told that I have a 5.1cm benign tumor on my right kidney. I am scared...But I continue to pray and ask God for the right decision to make., My doctor said at some point it will start to bleed because of the size. He said it can either be watched or I can just have it taken out. I am very scared that I may have to lose my kidney too. Can somebody please give me insight on this situation.,,,,