Hello! After a severe urinary infection my doctor sent me to have my kidneys checked on the ultrasound and they found a cyst on one of my kidneys. My doctor said I shouldn’t worry much since it is only one cyst but I have read that all people diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease eventually have to have their kidney removed. Will I have to have my kidney removed too?

Hi! You didn’t write your age but I guess that if your doctor says you shouldn’t worry- you really shouldn’t worry! It was probably diagnosed on time and I am sure that he can help you in many other ways before it should come to even considering kidney removal. As far as I know you can remove just the cysts surgically too. It is best that you discuss your options with your doctor more thoroughly before panicking. If you don’t trust this doctor you can ask for other opinion.

Hello! I agree that you shouldn’t panic but PKD is a serious disease and you should fight it with every means you can find. PKD leads to kidney failure, and when it happens you must have transplantations or dialysis. But it can be decades before it happens. Since I don’t know your age, maybe your doctor is right, and it will not happen in your lifetime.
I am sure that if you look into this subject you will find many ways to prolong your kidney functioning well. Do ask around with other patients who live with this disease or consult your doctor. it certainly cannot be good for you to start thinking about the worst possible outcome right away!