Hi! Anyone had kidney stones removed by lithotripsy? I need some information about it. My mum maybe will need to treat kidney stones with lithotripsy. I know that it’s nothing dangerous but I still worry a lot. What are the complications or side effects? And does the patient need anesthesia? Thank you!

You don’t need to worry. Lithotripsy (ESWL) is the most frequently used procedure for the treatment of kidney stones. Shock waves hit the stone and it break down into sand. After treatment, patient usually has blood in urine for a few days. Also discomfort in the back or abdomen is common side effect. Some kind of anesthesia is necessary.

Hello there,

As Christina said there is no need to be worried about this procedure because not only that lithotripsy is one of the most common procedures for removing the kidney stones but it will also spare your mother a great deal of pain. And of course for this procedure it is necessary to be under anesthesia and which one (local, spinal or general) your doctor will decide together with your mother.  

The advantage of this procedure is also in the fact that she can go home two hours after the procedure. Of course she can stay in the hospital but there is no need since you can take her home and be there for her. And after the procedure she will realize how much is better to solve kidney stone problems in this way.

my daughter also needs lithotripsy and I as a Mother am very nervous about it if you know the risk factors please share it with me. thankyou.

Hello Brigitta545,
Yes, I have had Lithotripsy as a matter of fact I have had 4 of them. If you want to know what to expect from the procedure from beginning to end please by all means contact me. Bottom line is Yes you need anesthesia, The recovery time just for surgery is a day maybe 2. She will have to filter urine for a week after.

Hi snoopyfan6200 can you please give me more detail about the procedure or anyone else who went through this it will be very helpful! Also im going to be doing it under spinal anesthesia. Please help thank you!

Have you had any lasting side effects or kidney damage as a result of the lithotripsy procedure? What about lower back pain after treatment?

I had a lithrotripsy done when I was 35. At 68 had to have that kidney removed. I would ask if Lithrotripsy could weaken and damaged the kidney over time?