My girlfriend only has half a kidney that works please can some one tel me how long she can live? I love her so much and she will not let me go get a test done to see if I can be a kidney donor for her I am worrying I will lose her and she is a mum of two lovely kids.

I do not know all the details of your girlfriend's condition, but, it IS possible to live without both of your kidneys. If the worst happens and she loses both, she will have to go into hospital regularly for dialysis, which is a whole loot better than losing her life. But whatever happens you must know that she will be okay, if your doctor does not know about her condition you must inform them immediately as your girlfriends health is at serious risk. I hope I have put your mind at rest and reassured you, good luck.

Hi, Please try to be positive for her if it is working well she can live a normal life for a long time--I am now living with one third of one kidney after having cancerous tumours removed from my one kidney 15 moths ago. I had my first one removed at 27 because it never worked from birth. I am now 64 & until 2011 I had a normal healthy life. In 2011 they foubnd 2 cancerous tumours on my kidney one was 7cm on top of it the other was 5cm on the bottom the doctors wanted to remove it & put me on dialysis I said no that I wanted to try & save it because it was a strong little thing, sounds silly but, I asked for a second opinion & another surgeon said he would try to remove them & save it. Well he did & I am happy to say I am fine living a great life doing all that I did before except drinking alcohol. So in answer to your question she can live a very long time with a healthy lifestyle & positive attitude. Avoiding stress is important so you need to be strong & treat her as normal your body can survive on one third of one kidney so she has loads left.... Be strong & stress free. Is she ok at the moment or are you having trouble with the kidney? Even if she needed dialysis life can be ok.