I would like to know if anyone who has had anterior cervical discectomy with fusion has had it for pain primarily in the neck and shoulder, and not for pain radiating down the arm?

I have a long history of shoulder and neck pain... starting back with a shoulder surgery (distal clavicle resection) about 20 years ago. My shoulder was worse after the surgery. The neck pain has been worsening steadily since then, and despite six more shoulder surgeries over the years, nothing has solved my shoulder pain problems either. Once about four years ago, while I was doing PT for the neck pain, I got something so inflamed that I had pain radiating down my whole body. I had to go to the emergency room that night. The radiating pain went away, though, by the next day. And only very rarely do I have any numbness or tingling down my arm. But I'm always in pain, ranging from about a 4 out of 10 up to a 9 out of 10. I cannot rotate my head to the left very far, and it is painful to look up and down. In general, it's just painful to move my neck, and my shoulder always hurts. Feels like it is just raw inside. I have had knots in my trapezius muscles for years, that massages, injections... nothing will eliminate.

I have had MRI's, nerve studies, all the usual tests. I do have degeneration of the discs at 5-6 and worse at 6-7. Here's the puzzle. Most neurologists and neurosurgeons follow the rule that if there's pain radiating down the arm, then surgery is clearly called for. The success rate for such surgeries is in the 90-plus percentile. However, when there's no radiation down the arm, they say there's no such certainty. Some neurosurgeons say they "feel" it would help but can't guarantee anything. Some others say that they wouldn't recommend it under my circumstances.

Please, if anyone has had a successful ACDF for pain similar to mine, let me know. I am debating whether to have the two level fusion a couple of neurosurgeons have proposed. My problem is, if I don't have the surgery, I don't know what else to try.. I've had it all... from nerve blocks to epidurals, facet joint injections, acupuncture, massages, PT, chiropractic treatment, the shoulder surgeries, muscle relaxers, and other medications...

Thanks.

Just had mine this morning. Home now with a collar. My situation is excactly the same as yours. No arm pain but rigtht neck muscles and shoulders. No pain now but still on pain killers. Keep in touch I can let you know how it goes. _[removed]_

go and see an osteopath they deal with these kinds of spinal degenrerations all the time, you should find relief from osteopathy.

if you look on the General Osteopathic counsil there you will be able to find your nearest one. the website will also tel you what to expect from the osteopathy.

you dont need surgary its a last resort. try osteopathy first!!!

I did I had c34567 done at once and daily headaches I thought would go away, but no they did not and my neck and shoulders hurt more now than ever they gave me baclofen it helps relax my neck and shoulders although I'm in a large amount of pain 24/7 this sucks bad!

Hi
I am scheduled for acdf next week and I have neck and shoulder pain but no arm pain. I'm starting to be concerted that I'll end up worse or the surgery won't help. Neuro says I'm experiencing weakness too but I honestly can't tell... Did you have the surgery? Please let me know if it helped the neck/shoulder