%-) :-P Recently, I took a very sharp downward blow to the top of my head. Ever since I have been having pain in my right upper chest, just under the shoulder bone. This pain starts small, and feels like it grows; like a ball being pumped up. When the pain reaches max, it radiates down my right arm in a straight line to my elbow and on to my wrist. I also get tingling in the fingers on my right hand. Strange thing is, when I sleep at night, I am more comfortable on my right side, sort of stabilizes the area and doesn't let things move around. What in the world have I done? %-)

Did you ever get an answer?
I have had the same symptoms that you described for over four years now and have not gotten a diagnosis. My doctor just keeps giving me muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory pain killers. He also keeps sending me for tests to see if it is a rotator cuff injury, which always come up negative.
I do not remember having any head trauma, however I have had the symtoms for so long that anything is possible.

I am very familiar with the type of pain "Concerned in Oklahoma" posted about and the next poster wondered about because of having similar symptoms. Of course, hearing more about your symptoms would be a lot easier to get more info but since poster number 2 has had the symptoms for 4+ years I will give a suggestion to mention to your own doctor to check for.

Have you ever heard of "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome" (TOS)? TOS can and does produce those symptoms as well as other's. A "simple" way for the doctor to diagnose the problem is to have you do the "Thinker" test (someone familiar with TOS will know this simple exam done in less than a few minutes in the office. It's non-invasive; it's not painful, and an eye-opener if done and found to be positive.

TOS can be brought on by trauma. TOS can also be caused by an extra VERY small rib most often not noticed by a radiologist unles s/he is looking for it. Less than 1% of the population have the extra rib. Those with the extra rib are much more likely to develop TOS from repetitive action and/or trauma. Sometimes, just the rib alone can cause TOS. People with no extra rib can also develop TOS.

TOS can be cured in a lot of patients with the right type of PT. Some do need surgery but personally, I'd always go for the non-evasive approach first and give it time. Mention TOS to your MD. Some doc's think TOS is not a recognized disorder. One can go to http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm to read about the various types of TOS. If the info on this page sounds familiar, print it out and bring it with you to the doctor. :-)

Hope this helps

I have similar syptoms but on the left side. I just turned the wong way one day in march 2007. now when i breath or move my body the wrong way i can hear and feal it popping and hurting :{ i went to the doctor when it happend , the doctor told me it was a spine sprain. that was 2 months ago should i go to another doctor?

Hi, I have within the last three days had the same pains. I read in the responses about a rotater cuff injury...my ex broke my right...cuff. hmmm interesting to even go back there. My right lower shoulder, arm, chest hurts so...bad! Now, I now what to ask the dr. about. Best wishes

go see a chiropractor

I know exactly what you are experiencing. Especially after your statement about the blow on the head.
I have been through this before. It will become excruciating eventually unless you get it checked out.
Mine was a pinched nerve in my cervical vertebrae caused bu a ruptured disc between the vertebrae. After a discectomy and fusion I felt great. I had this twice and found it impossible to get someone to diagnose it until I moved to MN. I got 7 incorrect diagnosis while in Illinois.
See a Neurosurgeon and ask for an MRI. These can sometimes be treated through therapy if caught soon enough.
I also understand there is now a disc replacement surgery, but many insurance companies aren't covering it.

Good luck
I can honestly say the two surgeries were the best things I have ever done!

i have a chest pain and it spread to hand on both hands alternatively with slight back pain- on walking the pain increases - there is inflammation also,
look like it starts from head. i was treated for a vertibrae problem 2 yrs back. pls give ur expert opinion., thanks.

I am also experiencing a same kind of pain in the right side of the chest and shoulder which radiates toward right arm as well.
but the difference is that I get it when i press my chest with my hand or by self control using ribs.

Doctors did ecg,xrays.. but couldnt find anything. Now I donnt know what to do.

Hello, I have had the same symptoms for the past six months. The only difference is that when my pain begins to start I have trouble breathing and it feels as if my chest is caving in and the sharper the pain gets. When the pain comes on it is in the right side of chest, which feels like it is in my spine, shoots through my neck, and down my right arm and into my fingers. My fingers go numb for a few hours and when the numbness subsides my fingers feel like they have been slammed in a car door and my grip has also weakened. The pain at times comes and goes...I have also been to see my doctor several times and he could find nothing on the x-rays nor the EKG; everything is normal and he had given pain killers and muscle relaxers and those don't always help. I would like to know what I can do to make this go away.

I have the same issues!!! But I have other issues along with it. I have really bad right shoulder pain that radiates from my neck down the shoulder blade all around the shoulder into the right side of my chest. At times when the pain is bad, I feel like my breathing is bad and almost like I am having a heart attack. I have been to the hospital on two occassions had chest xrays, EKG's, ultrasounds, MRI of the brain, and much more...still nobody can diagnose me. I also have pain underneath my right rib and they tested to see if it was my gallbladder..it came back normal. I had a kidney test for a kidney disease because I frequent the bathroom as well....guess what test result was normal. Not sure where to go from here. I am in my early 30's so this shouldn't be happening to me and I know something is wrong. My friends say maybe you need to go to Mayo or Cleveland clinic. Looking for any guidance, does anyone have any?

Hello all,

I have the same symptoms. (pain in my upper right chest and arm underneath collar bone toward the shoulder) The pain comes and goes and it shoots down my arm all the way to the fingers on my right hand. Very uncomfortable.

I had no clue what it was, initally I thought the worst and started researching different types of cancer; but I think it is TOS. I plan to get checked. I am 40 yrs old, I work out alot, and I believe I am in fairly decent shape, but I believe it could have been caused thru stressful workouts of chest, arms, and shoulders, and i may have messed something up in the process.

Well thanks you to the person who suggested TOS. I hope everyone on here who have these painful symptoms FIND RELIEF.

God Bless,
Phil

i have the same thing also..I was in a bad car accident 9 yrs ago which resulted in a pinched nerve.I am experiencing neck,shoulder,chest pain and pain in the right arm which causes my fingers to go numb and my hand sometimes is like a block of ice.My carpal tunnel has gotten worse..A month ago i noticed a limp on the inside of my right wrist and have no idea what it is from.Have tried everything to alleviate the pain but nothing helps.

I just started having a very severe pain in my chest on the right side but it feels more centrally located in my right shoulder, it goes all the way down my arm and makes sleeping even a nightmare as cannot lay on it or move it. it also hurts to breathe since it started hurting. I have had no accident or injury recently that might have brought it on. would appreciate any helpful information on how to ease the pain and/or completely remove the pain. ?

I had a very bad fall with my chest, i slip in the bath tub and i hit my right chest in the nosing of tub, i dont feel much pain but i cant breath for almost 30 seconds, and i felt so dizzy... but after a while my breathing became normal. I went to the office and seems that nothing happend to me that day...but now after few days im experiencing the pain in my right upper chest specially when i am sleeping and im changing my position from right to left, and also when im lifting heavy things..it becomes more painful as days goes by...am I in deep trouble... :'(