I am woman 46 years old and I have typical menopausal symptoms. One of those I have noticed as severe vasomotor symptoms, which required treatment. I visited my gynecologist who was thinking the same I did. He prescribed me Activella, medicine I hear for the first time in my life. Can you tell me more about this, dosage and anything you think I could find useful for my condition.

Activella is a single tablet that contains an estrogen, estradiol, and progestin, used for oral administration. Usually, this medicine is used as a therapy indicated in women with an intact uterus, for vasomotor symptoms with the menopause. Anyway, for now, there is no adequate evidence that estrogens from Activella can be effective for depressions caused by menopause. That is why this medicine should not be used to treat these conditions. Activella can prevent postmenopausal osteoporosis, and treat vulvar or vaginal atrophy. Some studies even had shown around 60% reduction in hip and wrist fractures, in women whose estrogen replacement begun few years after menopause. Problem is when estrogen therapy is discontinued, bone mass declines at a rate comparable to the immediate postmenopausal period. Activella therapy contains one single tablet to be taken once daily. Treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause is given Activella 1mgE2/0.5mg NETA daily.