My 15 years old son plays football but now he’ll have to stop his training for a while for I was told by his couch that he has advancing Osgood schlatter’s- which I’ve never heard of before. Anyway he has terrible pain in his knee and the knee area is also swallowed and tenderness and he yesterday had ultrasound of his knee and is diagnosed with Osgood schlatter’s. Is anybody there to tell me something about it?

Osgood Schlatter’s is a disease that usually is common in teenagers like your son is and it’s nothing to worry about for it usually goes away by itself when the child has growth enough so his bone beyond the knee is strong enough to maintain the hard trainings. Anyway swallowed, painful and tenderness knee is a sure sign of advancing Osgood schlatter’s and also x-rays of the knee might help in determining the severity of the disease but in most cases it disappear within 4 months if the treatment rules are provided. So my son had the same problem and he’s now 19 and is back to his volleyball trainings without any pain on his knee. You should talk to your son and explain to him that it is necessary to rest and avoid training, jogging and jumping or at least to reduce it at minimum levels but the total rest is strongly recommended if he wants full recovery. Those four simple steps might importantly reduce his knees swallow ness and pain- he needs to rest his knee from any activity for whenever there’s pain sensation during or after activity it is sign that the knee’s bones are still inflamed, he needs to hold ice packs over the affected area at least 15min 3x a day, he should also compress his knee with an elastic bandage and should elevate his leg. Those are the steps that could really be of help.

Hi. I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter`s disease too. Experts say Osgood Schlatter`s disease is caused by microtrauma that happens before the complete maturity of the anterior tibial tubercle attachment. My both knees hurt and I feel tenderness below them. This tenderness is worse when pressure is applied. Treatment includes rest, ice and painkillers. Osgood Schlatter`s disease usually disappears with such treatment. However, sometimes, the affected leg may be immobilized. This will take 2 months. Surgeries are rarely needed, only if the initial treatment fails. Complications of Osgood Schlatter`s disease include chronic pain.