I have learned to live with pain and work full time as an Oncology RN despite having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, fibromalgia, asthma, spinal stenosis, osteoporosis, degenerative disk disease, and bad knees. I was born with bilateral hip dysplagia and iliosacral joint defects. I am 56 yrs old.

However, in 6/08 I developed severe bursitis in my left hip. I then had a left knee arthroscopy due to a torn meniscus from doing PT exercises. I tried to return to work and still had severe hip and now back pain with numbness in my left foot. After multiple epidurals and deep tissue injections, I had an L5 laminotomy 4/09.

Persistent left hip pain continued and an x-ray revealed my left hip was disintegrating. I had a total left hip replacement (Stryker brand) 7/09 and returned to work 9/09.

Everything was okay until 12/09 when I had a deep wisdom tooth abscess. It was removed after 3 days on clindamycin, which I took for 5 weeks. Almost that same week I developed gross edema in my left hip, thigh and groin. Often my left upper thigh can be as much a 4 inches bigger then the right. I finally had to retire on disability 7/10.

A deep tissue biopsy of the hip as well as bone scan were negative.

I have lost 75 lbs and really do all my exercises (hence the weight loss.) I walk 10,00 steps per day. But while I have the stamina to do more, I have to rest an stretch every 10 minutes or so to to this due to the pain.

I can live with the CFS etc. but this hip pain that binds my upper thigh, radiates to my back, down the front and side of my left leg has got to go. Some times my leg feels lose in the socket or deep in the thigh and then hurts even worse. I want to go back to work and have a life. As you can see, I am not a wimp! I only take Tylenol #4 1/2 to 1 tabs 1-2 times per week and am off all NSAIDS due to side effects.

No body seems to be able to help me except to offer more pain meds and epidurals.

Can you help me?!!

Hey guys. Well, I would like to be updated on this topic if anything that seems like an answer comes up because my dad is going through the similar thing. I was very concerned about his pain in his hip and took him to the doctor as soon as I noticed. He has struggled with his hip for a long time and I finally conviced him. The doctor performed an x ray and it turned out to be hip bursitis but he isn't responding to his treatment as he should. I would like this topic to be resolved as soon as possible.

I have the same thing going on.  Have you ever found relief?  I have had three back surgeries in the last two years.  Two were fusions and and three weeks ago they removed the screws and rods.  I can't sleep and I could careless about eating.  I try to keep moving all day.  I have injections and they help for a few days.  It is making me crazy and I don't know what to do.  I'm a mother of 7 year old twins and I can't do anything physical with them.

I picked up 2 gallons at work two years ago and I've been through a living hell.  I feel like a burden to my family and the doctors have no answers.  I'm miserable and I just want to have a life.  Please tell me how to deal with this?

Have u tried advanced nerve pain management for those particular areas? They call it nerve blockers..