i have a knot below my kneecap that is very sensitive to the touch, and pain comes and goes at diffrent times, but the knot is always there i am just wondering if anyone can give me advice on what it may be and if it may need medical attention.

One thing popped on my mind and this is Osgood-Schlatters disorder. Its the overuse problem at the point where the tendon connects the kneecap to the shin bone. This spot where knots appear below the kneecap is called the tibial tubercle. These knots often appear in young people, as they are doing a lot of sports, gymnastics, jumping while playing ball sports etc. How old are you actually? If you are either young or playing some sport, this could be the explanation why this knot has occurred.You can always have the X-rays and check if this could be happening to you.The symptoms include increased pain, swelling of the area, pain when you touch the spot, visible lump etc.
I am always suggesting people to have even the smallest lump checked out, as you never know what even a minor knot could make you troubles. If you find out what it is on time, there are more chances you heal the problem sooner.