I have a sister who started to work hard with her trainings. I am a little bit worried about her, because I do not know how harmful could it be when she over react. I have heard there is common injury called chrondomalacia patella. She has knee problem, so I am worried that could be her problem. Can you tell me more about this, because actually I have heard for this term chrondomalacia patella for the first time few days ago?

First, I want to explain you that bones develop from a cartilage growth plate, called epiphysial plates. These plates divide the calcified head of the bone and the calcified shaft. At the same time, cartilage continues to grow on the epiphysial border, so the epiphysial plates retain a constant width of cartilage. Growth ends when the plate eventually calcifies, but the changes in the female body shape during the growth spurt have its particular injury risks. The hips widen, placing the femur at a greater inward angle, so during running or walking, this increased femur angle leads to greater inward rotation at the knee and foot. This rotation can result in an injury called chrondomalacia patella. This occurs when the kneecap does not run smoothly over the knee joint and pain is caused at the front of the knee. Appropriate preventive training to avoid chrondomalacia patella would be to strengthen the vastus medialis muscle. Beside this, your sister should train the lower abdominals, obliques, hip abductor and hip external rotator muscles. Traction injuries are another type of injury associated with bone growth, caused by repetitive loading while the tendon is sensitive to stress as the bones and tendons are fusing.

I'm 14 years old & I'm suffering from chrondomalacia patella. I'm a very active person, & I love doing sports. I went to the doctor about 2 years ago, & was diagnosed with chrondomalacia patella. Since then, I did the excersizes they told me to do, that didn't help. My next step was to do physical therapy. So I gave it a try, & it ended up making my knees worse. Now there so bad that I can't even run Track.

If anyone can help me with what my next step should be, please reply back. That would be greatly appreciated :-)

Kristey.

I am 22 years old and I have been suffering, until recently with chrondomalacia patella. I was diagnosed when I was twelve years old. I was told that it was pretty serious and I have "J" shaped braces for both of my knees. When I work out I use to wear both of those braces. I looked rediculous but it somewhat helped. I also went to physical therapy 3 times a week for about 4 years. Then I saw a really good orthopedic surgeon, because it was ruinind my sports life. He suggested that I would swim 3 times a week as well as playing any other sports. I took his suggestion and I started noticing a difference in not just my knees, but as well as other joints. He aslo suggested that I would use hot and cold pack to help the pain. That works as well. I have had less pain, but still some partially. Especially when a strom comes in to town, I can tell a couple days ahead, becuase my knees start to ache! I would look in and get advice from serveral different orthopedic doctors before finallizing with ones decisions..

BMX girl 016 wrote:

If anyone can help me with what my next step should be, please reply back. That would be greatly appreciated :)

Kristey.

There isn't much you can do. I was diagnosed at 10 after a growth spurt. I'm 18 now. Just DON'T have surgery. It's made my right knee worse and my left suffers too becaus eI've shifted my weight to that leg now. The exercises didn't help me either. Try a less (knee) demanding sport, like kayaking. That's changed my life. It hasn't helped with my knees but it's helped me stay in shape after I had to quit each and every other sport I liked!

I'm 15, and I dance a couple times a week. I was diagnosed with chrondomalacia patella 2 years a ago, and since then both of my kneecaps have dislocated to the outside of my knees- very painful!

I've found that bikeriding really helps. It strengthens the muscles above- just thought I'd put that out there.