Hi, my 5 years old child is claiming that his knee hurts but we can’t see any changes and doctor also can’t diagnose anything.

The knee is made up of bones and cartilage that lies between the bones. Ligaments are another important structure of every joint. The pain can result due to any injury or stress to the joint. Children active in sports can easily get injured. If a child has knee pain that is restricting his activities for some time it may be something serious. Also, being unable to bear weight on the leg, or red and swollen knee indicates a condition that requires to be treated. My child had parapatellar knee pain syndrome. He had vague pain in both knees around the knee cap, and x-rays were normal. He was told to rest and later he did some strengthening exercises.

As a child, my sister experienced pain in her joints. We were told that her phenomenal growth (she was larger than I until we were 13 and I'm 15 months older than she) was a factor in creating this pain. She was told to take an analgesic during extreme pain, and I remember my mother also bathed her in warm water with epsom salts.