Hey. My friend has a dog, and two days later, she found out that he has Addison’s disease. She is really worried, and she wants to do everything for him. That is totally reasonable, of course. The vet told her that she should try first with some diet program, because it is not so serious, she found this on time. I really want to help her, so I was wondering, do you know what is the best diet for dogs with Addison’s disease?  Anyone here have the same problem, can you help us?

What is the best diet program?

Tnx God, I didn’t have this problem, but I was discussing with my vet about this one, and he told me that this can be serious. He gave me some tips about this, and he told me one diet program that is really god when it comes about this. I hope that this will help your friend as well. You should definitely consider raw diet program, because the vet told me that this is the best natural way. You should also consider a normal levels of potassium and sodium, because this can help as well. It can give your dog good energy, which is really good indicator of successful treatment. But about the diet – raw diet is definitely a great choice. 

Unfortunately, I had this problem. It was like a hell in my house. I just couldn’t stand watching my dog in pains, I was crying all day and all night. I was sleeping with him. He had 17 months when he had Addison’s disease. Science diet program helped me to heal him. I don’t have experience with raw diet program, because I was giving him boiled chicken with some rice. This was the only meal that he was eating. I was happy, so you should try this diet program. I can guarantee that it will help you. Good luck with this.

Well you should know that there are no scientific proofs that certain way of feeding can affect dogs with Addison’s disease. Some researchers have shown that some diets can improve health level though.

There are also foods that are good for prevention and should be used after treatments of Addison’s disease.

All kinds of probiotics are very useful for dogs with this disease. You can use powders, liquids and homemade ones. There are also some researches that have showed that herbal teas are good for both preventing and recovering after the treatment. You can make couple of liters of some tea and give your dog to drink it instead of water.

It’s true, there are no scientific proofs, but I believe that a healthy diet can do no wrong for the dogs who have it.

My advice for the dog’s owner is- try to give him plenty of fluids, much more than you would give to the healthy dog.  You need to make sure that  you’re providing him a healthy, balanced diet. That healthy diet should include like I said plenty of fluids, proteins, vitamins and minerals. And you should definitely avoid  too many sugars or fats.

I hope that your friend’s dog will be better. It’s much easier for the dog when his owner puts some effort to it.

Yes, I agree totally with you. Healthy diet program won’t harm your dog, so if you notice that your dog is acting strange, take him to the vet. About the Addison’s disease, you should change the way of eating for your dog completely, because he will be healthy. I know that there are some diets that might seem a little bit rigorous for you, but it is good for your dog. Maybe your dog will refuse this new way of eating, but don’t worry, very soon he will eat it, because he won’t have a choice :)

Still, I think that some diet foods don't have so bad taste. 

Hello.

As you maybe already know, Addison’s disease is illness of dog’s adrenal glands which are small organs positioned just above kidneys. They are needed for production of two vital hormones: cortisol (stress hormone) and aldosterone (regulates amount of salt in the body).

The natural treatment of this deadly disease recommends healthy fresh food diet. Here are a few suggestions:

·         Muscle meat, often still on the bone

·         Ground or whole bones

·         Organ meats (liver and kidneys are the best)

·         Raw egg yolks

·         Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and celery

·         Yogurt

Remember, diet will not heal your dog, but is going to strengthen his immune system so his organism can fight the Addison’s. 

My friend’s dog has Addison’s disease . I asked him several times about the dog’s  diet and he never told me anything concrete.

He says he just tries to feed him well, with healthy meals that often include muscle meat. Most dogs love muscle meat and it is also very healthy.

He also tries to give him raw egg yolk. Although his dog refuses to eat that sometimes.

Every once in a while he prepares him a meal that consists only vegetables. It is usually a mix of spinach, parsley, broccoli, celery etc.

Sometimes he puts some onion in that mix, that way it is a bit tastier.

Actually, there are certain things your dogs can't eat. Drinking water is best for dogs with Addison's disease. My dog has it and my dad is a vet, we always make sure she has water because she drinks a lot of it. Dogs with Addison's disease can't eat things that are too high in fat or junky. I have my dog peanut butter the other day and she threw up twice. Also giving them food with salt is a good thing to feed them when they aren't feeling well. They tend to lack sodium which can help them a bit. Hope this helps.

Onion is toxic for dogs and can cause renal failure.

Onions are poison for dogs.

Addison's is a serious and potentially fatal disease. Often it goes undiagnosed, but usually it is misdiagnosed. Many vets will attribute the symptoms to a food allergy or some temporary illness, then they prescribe a steroid. Usually this steroid helps the dog recover from a minor Addison's episode. Eventually though, if your dog does have Addison's they will have a full blown Addison's crisis, and go into shock. If not treated, this will likely be fatal. There is a blood test your vet can run to determine if your dog actually has Addison's, once diagnosed the treatment plan is fairly simple (just kind of costly).
My dog gets a once per month injection of Percortin V, and a daily small dose steroid. She nearly died twice due to major Addison's events, now that she is on medication her disease is managed. There are a few things you need to be on the look out for long-term if your pup has this disease.

A. - Lethargy. If they are doing fine then suddenly seem lethargic for more then a day or two, you may take them to the vet to get their blood work done, they could need a shot and possibly fluids. This can prevent a full blown crisis.
B.- Frequent urination, wetting the bed, or wetting themselves when awake. It happens suddenly and they just don't know its happening :( DO NOT GET MAD - it is a disease and this is a symptom of a potential Addison's crisis. Get the dog to the vet for a checkup. When healthy, this isn't an issue. But when their systems start to get out of balance, since this is a disease that effects the kidney, urination (leakage) should be expected.
C. Shaking/tremors. It starts small but it can be mistaken for being cold or scared- but, they tremors persist. The dog is in shock at this point and must be treated. They will likely get a blood test, shot, fluids, and hopefully steroids. They should recover but this is a serious disease.

You may have noticed a theme. If your dog has Addison's, get used to going to the vet. It is worth it to not only care for a dog but care for a high needs dog - you're doing something really special for an animal that otherwise wouldn't stand a chance. Good for you. :) I suggest after you get your dog several rounds of shots and stabilized, ask the vet if you can purchase the injection online- this will save you a lot of money and make it easier to deal with. Also, be mindful that a dog with Addison's is high risk and needs to take it easy. Don't leave them outside all day, heat is bad. They can workout with you, but it should not be strenuous, their body just can't take it. If you take them for a teeth cleaning or other procedure and they are put under anesthetic - monitor them very closely the following days. These types of treatments can and do cause an Addison's event- it can be quick and deadly.
Finally- really get to know your vet, they can keep your dog and the disease managed.

My dog is named Sweetie- she is very true to her name. Sweet, loving , just an all around good girl. She is my first dog and I had no idea what I was in for. I figured I would get a dog, feed it, give it a bed and toys- and that's it. Sweetie had been surrendered twice at a high kill shelter, apparently because people don't care enough to manage a disease. If you adopt a dog, it could have a disease. I'm eternally grateful that I am financially and emotionally able to care for my Sweetie- the disease is manageable and she has a good quality of life in spite of it.

So you only feed rice and chicken ?

You shouldn't feed your dog onion its so bad for them.

Where are you buying online