My 6 month old infant has had for the past week very strange bowel movements. He used to have one every morning and that would be it. Then they changed to a runny, mucousy, green consistency, and happen as much as 5 times daily. It isn't much in amount. My mother says it could be due to teething, but he already has 2 teeth, and no sign of any more cutting. Our next apointment isn't until Dec. 10th. Is this something I should worry about? He has no other symptoms.

did you find the reason. my baby has the same issue?

hi,

my baby is having exactly the same issue!!!

I have a 3 month old who at 2 1/2 months old was pooping only once a day and then the liquidy (several times per day started) and lasted for about 3 weeks. The doctor says it is diahrrea and that it is probably a virus and will just take some time to run its course. Additionally, if the baby is producing alot of saliva (drooling) quite a bit, etc. then the doctor says all of this is swallowed and irritates the bowel and then the only way it can come out is through the poop. Hope this helps. If it is a viral infection it can take several weeks to clear out completely.

My 2 month old is doing the same thing. She's already had 4 poopy diapers today, and it's only 2:30! She's breastfed, and it looks slimey or mucousy. She's my first, and I'm not really sure if mucous is normal or not. She doesn't act sick...anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Quote:

my baby has exactly the same, but does not seem to be in pain just a little irritable - but is definately teething so it could be due to that and all the excess saliva?

Green, mucousy stool
This can be a result of a virus. Often the only sign we see of a virus is in the green stool. This is evidence of malabsorption in the intestines. Watch for how many days and with what consistency it is occurring. With a virus, it will run its course over a few days and begin to improve.

Another cause of malabsorption in the intestines can be teething. The profuse saliva of a teething baby can cause irritation in the intestines interfering with proper absorption. When babies teethe, we can see lots of drooling. Large quantities of saliva is swallowed which can irritate the intestines causing runny, acidic stools. This can also cause a rash in the diaper area.

I found this information at:
drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp

My son is 3.5 months old and is breastfed. I took him to a Gi DR. because he seemed uncomfortable. They tested his stool and found blood(not visible to me). They said he probably has an allergy to something I was eating. I am now working with our local lactation nurse and a nutrtionist. Most of the time the allergy is dairy or soy they said.

My 2month old has the same issues and is exclusively breastfeed. I was talking to the doctor and he stated that the mucous and blood is most likely coming from an allergy that my daugther has to somethgin that I have been eating. The most common allegen in an infant is the cow's protien in milk products. We had already eliminated that from my diet based on some previous reactions, however, it looks like my daughter may be allergic to soy and possibly wheat as well. There is an elimination diet on askdrsears.com that helps to find the culprit. Good Luck.

Until the pedatrician recomended Similac Alimentum when ny baby was 4 month old. Before that I was breastfeeding my baby and supplementing with regular formula. She probably had a sentisitvity to regular formula or my milk. It was never clrea why she got those mucusy stools but since we started Similac Alimentum her poops are fine. It took a while, though. Good luck. I hope it helps. I know how alarming this can be.

Did you find out why this was happening?

My 4 1/2 month old is also experiencing these same issues! My NON medical theory is "could this be associated/(side affect) with the ROTAVIRUS vaccine?" Have any of your babies has these yet? My son has had two of the doses.....YUK!

Just wondering?

I think the same. My 3 month old daughter started to have mucousy spit ups and bowel movements after getting vaccines at her 2 month well baby check up. the bowel movements are also green and watery. Her birth wiehgt was 7lb 1oz and she weighed 11lb 8oz during her 2 month check up. Since then she just gained 2oz. She seems to be fine for two to three days and then again she'll start having these mucousy stools. I am suspecting that for some reason she became sensitive to my diet after getting the vaccine. I am so confused now. Planning to ask my daughter to refer to a GI doctor.

Padma,

The same thing happened to my son after his 2 month Tdap vaccine was given, except that he also had traces of blood in the mucous. I since learned that a viral or bacterial (which is in the Tdap vaccine) irritation in the intestines could trigger temporal lactose intolerance, and blood-tinged mucous and diarrhea are strong indications of that. Since I breastfeed him, I've eliminated all cow's milk from my diet, but it could take up to two weeks to completely clear my system. I'm on day 11 of my elimination diet and for the last 3 days there has been no visible sign of blood and the quantity of mucous has been greatly reduced, but his stools are still not completely normal. It's been almost 3 weeks since it all began and I'm hoping that he'll start passing "normal" stools again soon! I almost forgot to mention that the very day I started the elimination diet, his diarrhea (and my diaper changing) was cut in half, and I don't think it was just a coincidence!

Is your daughter doing better now?? I'd love to know if she is :O)

I had a very similar problem with my 1st son who is now 2 1/2. He had bloody stool beginning about a week following his 2 month immunizations. Looking back, he had many other signs, such as a facial rash (eczema), fussiness and frequent stools. We were sent to a ped GI and allergist. They both determined that it was related to a dairy allergy. Attempted to eliminate dairy for two months with no success. Later discovered that he also was highly allergic to eggs and peanuts. The good news is that he did out grow the dairy allergy by one year.

My second son, who is 2 months old tomorrow has had mucousy stools for about two weeks. He only has a bowel movement every two to three days and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, nor does he have visible blood. I've tried a dairy free diet for about a week now with no visible progress. Is there any other possible cause for the mucousy stools? I'm very concerned that I'm dealing with an allergy issue again and even more worried that it won't clear up like my first son. Any advice?