hi

i'm 30 years old. never had any problems with my periods my whole life.

the last 4 periods i've had have been awful. a few hours after menstruation i get chills, fever, aches and pains. i would just go to bed very early and 'sweat it out' like as if i had a cold with fever. MINUS sore throat or blocked nose etc. i'd wake up on day 2 and feel normal again.

however the last period i've had/having has been the worst so far. the fever has been higher - 38.5C, has lasted well into the night of day 2, i have had the most SEVERE abdominal pains. so painful that i don't know what position to get into and i scream out in pain. i think because a 'number 2' is making it's way round and it is irritating my pelvic region. the pain during the first 24 hours was high up, almost in the stomach area and wide too. slightly more pain on the right side. i feel nausea, i almost want to puke, mild headaches.

seen the nurse and GP - they have no idea. nurse said i could be anaemic. doctor said it might be a 'pelvic inflammatory disease'. they sent me to A&E where I was seen by no less than 7 different staff. they took my blood pressure, pulse. Pulse was extremely high - 123 and fever was 38C. they put me on a bed, squished my abdomen 'does this hurt?' etc. they gave me 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol. the geniuses came back after an hour and recorded that my fever had fallen ' NO sh*t!!!! THAT WOULD BE THE PILLS YOU GAVE ME!'.

ECG was fine. Urine test was fine even though i had my period.... but was bed bound day 1 & 2.

then the last doctor came to see me and said i had a urinary infection. i asked if it showed in the urine test he said no. i asked him why it would come every time i had my period and he asked me 'are you sure you get ill during the periods? you sure about the dates?'. as you can imagine i was very frustrated as he obviously didn't believe that it was related. 4 periods in a row - everyone accompanied with fever/chills and the 4th period with additional really bad abdominal pain and fever lasting 48 hours at least.

i asked him if it could be 'endemetriosis' and he said it wasn't because the illness goes on the first day. so i say 'well, this is the night of day 2!'. he didn't give a sh*t and by that point i just wanted to go home and get warm after being in A&E for 3 hours.

so now waiting to see a specialist.

Anyone know what it could be? Getting cramps and puking during periods is normal as a couple of my friends have such bad periods. But getting fever is a very different dynamic.

Hi, i'm sorry to hear you have had such a bad time recently. I have seen something like this before but before I go into it I hope you dont mind if I ask a couple of questions?

I assume from your user name you're based in the uk, I was wondering though (and it is relevant) what ethnic group you are in (do you have any particular traits in your family)

I assume that youwent to A+E in the uk, if so do you know if the bloods that they would have done as standard came back normal or were there raised inflammation markers?

did the ibuprofen they gave you help at all with the pain?

If you wouldnt mind getting back with the answers and I'll see if I can offer any suggestions x

Hi

Thanks for being interested in my case!

Yes, London UK based. The only blood test they did was for blood-sugar at A&E. The ibuprofen did help. Days 3, 4 & currenty 5 of my period though free of fever I still have pain but it has shrank to the lower abdomen. When I have a bowel movement it is still extremely and unusually painful.

My ethnic group is half (white) English and half (white) Eastern Mediterranean. My mother's side, English, don't have any such problems but I'm yet to contact my Mediterranean cousins.

My pulse was extremely high - 119 when it was taken sitting down!

Do you suffer from this too?

Thanks

Hi, no I dont but I have come accross a patient with this before. The condition I am thinking of is FAMILIAL MEDITERRANEAN FEVER, this is why I asked your origin as this tends to effect those with a mediterranean background / geneology.

There is a lot of info available about the condition which you are more than welcome to research, however it is still not widely known as I am sure you have found out!

The basics are that it results from a mutation in a specific gene MEFV and it is just one of a group of PERIODIC FEVERS (part of an autoimmune disease family) ,there is no set guideline as to how this syndrome originally presents and can manifest at any age however 80% will present with problems before the age of 20. It is an inherited condition however it is an autosomal recessive disease which means that the carrier (your parents) may display no symptoms

The problems occur periodically and it has been found that the particular stressor ( cause) is usually specific to each pt ( either stress / upset / physical exertion / menstruation )The main symptoms include severe abdominal pain without any specific cause, generalised joint pain, high fever approx 38 -39 degrees. In women it most often related to their periods ( thought to be due to the drop in oestrogen causing an autoimmune response) and will occur for a period of up to 48hrs from day 1 to day 3 of their new cycle, often resolving itself after this time.

It has been found that if blood tests are taken at the time of an acute attack then c reactive protiens are elevated, white blood cell count is elevated and other inflammation markers.

the treatment is relatively easy and in women where it is related to their periods there are a couple of options, they can self treat with non steroidal anti inflammatories (NSAIDS) such as Diclofenac throughout the attack although if pain is a major issue then you can be prescribed COLCHICINE which is an anti gout medication and if taken at the first sign of your period has been found to be very effective in preventing attacks of periodic fever and the assosciated pain.

I hope this has helped explain some of your symptoms - obviously your pulse rate was raised due to the fever and pain this would be expected, including raised blood pressure. It may be worth you speaking to your gp or getting a referral to an auto immune consultant as to be honest your gp probably wont be aware of the condition.

Any more questions and I'll try to help x

Thanks again for replying to me.

My mother also found info on FMF. My mediterranean aunts haven't suffered from it but, it does skip a generation. So it's possible it came via my Dad. I thought female problems tended to come via females...

I have been very stressed in the last 6 months so that could be the trigger. Next time I have an attack I'll insist on a blood test that checks the 'c reactive proteins' etc.

My main worry is that it doesn't cause infertility!

I really want to get to the bottom of this as taking pain-killers/anti-inflammatories don't treat the cause.

Thanks for suggesting an auto-immune consultant. I am getting a referral to an obstetric/gyno but might insist on the former too.

Hi, glad it was of some use to you. On the bright side if it is an auto immune disease then it wont have an effect on your fertility and at least you will have an explanation for your symptoms - although there is no cure just a very effective periodic treatment.

Keep us up to date and I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon

I had a scan today and the doctor saw straight away that I have ENDOMETRIOSIS. I also have a polycystic ovary with about 5 cysts.

I was first sent to another gynacologist for a smear test (in relation to my fever & ab pains during menstruation and bowel movement) and neither gyna doctors had ever heard of FEVER being the main symptom. However, he said it's an understandable reaction the body has to the stomach bleeding onto the pelvic area (which is endometriosis). I asked him if he really did mean the stomach and he said yes. * a little confused at that *

Endometriosis is not a curable disease but it is manageable. The contraceptive pill will reduce it and will also suppress the cysts he said. However if I later come off the pill (not on it now) then the cysts will return. Therefor I should have surgery to remove the cysts and then go straight on the pill.

I haven't fully ruled out FMF. In fact further reading of Endometriosis suggests the possibility that Endo is an auto-immune disorder itself.

I urge anyone who has problems to seek medical help ASAP. I really didn't think I had Endometriosis. Indeed - the first 3 doctors I saw (my GP, 2 at A&E) doubted that I had 'E' as I didn't have the obvious symptoms.

Good luck girlies

Hi, I was also suffering like you with the same symptoms. Was told I had urine infections etc but really they had no idea. After years of this I have stumbled upon a specialist who is helping me. Personally it turns out that the chemicals produced by my body pre period are toxic to me and when diagnosed the right detox treatment it really helps. It's amazing really. It's TFT-VT. I was being treated for toxins when he discovered it cause I always felt worse near my period and had to take a couple of days off to recover from a fever etc like you. I recommend you check it out. Only VT level specialist can diagnose this btw and I know of only two in the uk that deal with it. Very expensive but he is making me well so it's a no brainer for me. Good luck I hope you solve it. X

Hi, I have been been going through the same thing you two are describing. The fever usually stays around 38°. Im very interested in what you are talking about so Im wodering what is TFT-VT and a VT level specialist? I was diagnosed with endometrioses in 2006 and this fever thing started later that year. I would realy like to get rid of this fever thing if possible as it drains my energy and I dont feel so good. The fever starts a week or so before my periods start.

Thanks X

OMG I have had the exact same symptoms for my last 3 periods and it was the worst lastnight which is why I'm on the net looking for causes, cures and other ppl with same problems.. Before I went to sleep I felt period pain coming on but I was too tired and just hoped it would go away, then woke up around 2 am in soo much pain,soo hot,nauseous, head spinning,( I managed to grab the packet of nurofen,although I knew I prob couldn't have it anyway coz it makes me sicker ) then vomited then number #2 ( sorry i'm trying not to be too detailed) , then just sat on the toilet and leaned on the shower wall trying to cool down as I was too sick, hot and nauseas to get up, I had to kick off my ugh boots and socks it was too hot and my head my spinning and I could see heaps of little black spots when I opened my eyes ( similar to the spots I have heard migraine sufferers talk about). I finally jumped on my bed curled in a ball taking death breaths trying to control everything that was going on.. & after 5 mins I suddenly got so cold jumped under the blankets and after approx 40 mins fell asleep . When I wake up all the crazy symptoms are gone , just left with little Tummy pain & wondering what the hell went on last night!! Haha. I've just turned 25 and scared also that this could affect fertility :( I'm off to the dr today with my list of things I want tested ,I want answers as we can't keep going through this every month! If I get any answers I shall let you all know. & P.S - Im soo happy I found this forum

Hi...
i too suffring frm fever,headach,and body pain durin period frm last two months........its very irritating

hey,  just seen your reply...its been a while since i have been on here...but my pains have gone.. i had heaps of tests done,with no answers...then my nxt period it udt disappeared, thank god!!! i thought i must have endometriosis & so did the doctor, but you cant be 100% without having an operation,then they will unblock the tubes during operation ,but the endometriosis can come back again & again...

the only thing i done different during that time (when the pain went away) - i had started eating better, getting better sleep & exercising more.... 

Hope your pains go away, its terrible , i was scared each month for the pain :(( 

Ive had similar symptoms. I was diagnosed with endometriosis at 18 yrs old via laparoscopy. The symptoms worsened after my first child at age 23 yrs, and worsened again after my 2nd child and tubal ligation at 26 yrs old. The symptoms progressed severly, I had another laparoscopy and endo lesions and cysts removed. I was also put on Lupron Depo for 6 months and was hospitalized 3 times b/c of the side effects. After the Lupron horror, my menstrual cycles came every two weeks. I got angry with the doctors, refused a full hysterectomy, and told them to give me a prescription for seasonique (4 cycles a year). Additionally, I took ibuprofen 800mg 2-3 times a week for two months. This dramatically improved ALL my symptoms...urinary pain, abdomino pelvic pain, digestive pain, migraines, nausea, sinusitis, etc. I stopped the ibuprofen after 2 months to avoid any side effects from that, and the inflammation and pain returned. The seasonique has kicked in now and I am slowly recovering. You can have the pain and fever for just the first day, or sometimes the first 1-3 days...I did for 13 yrs, and didnt get worse until I got close to 30 yrs old. Dont put ALL your faith in the doctors, most know very little about endometriosis's limits. Ive been more frustrated with doctors than the endometriosis. Also, scans can't accurately diagnose endometriosis b/c scar tissue/cysts/fibroids/etc can not be differentiated between cancer/tumors. A PET scan has the best chance, but exploratory surgery (laparoscopy) is the only way to diagnose. If you have the lap, have the doctors measure your CA-125 before and after the surgery, it is a good indication of weather the disease will return. BTW my fathers side of the family is Italian.

Hey. My names Carlos and my gf has been getting these high fevers and Awfull pains when she gets her periods. Is there something that can hel her with that

Hi my names Carlos and my girlfriends been complaining that she gets these really bad pains in her stomache and really high temperature When she gets her period ? Is that normal ? What can she do ?