I was recently diagnosed with gallbladder disease. The weird thing is that I have no symptoms. I only had constant headaches??? Anyway, my girlfriend says I could die from it, I know that the procedure is a simple one to remove it. It is now out patient and all done with lasers through a tiny hole in your abdomen, but what after the procedure? My doctor said that the gallbladder causes a lot of ailments, such as losing your hair, and gaining weight. I don’t know what to do.

Hair loss and weight problems, I am afraid it sounds more like a thyroid problem to me. Since your only symptom was headache, I advise you to seek for a second opinion. I had my gallbladder removed 2 week ago; I am now home from hospital. Yes, I am uncomfortable, but pain killers are very helpful. Gallbladder disease can get bad, if it’s not removed. There can be problems with your pancreas, if stones become lodged in your bile duct and possible other conditions. But again there can be problems with any surgery, so speak to your physician about it.

I have recently been diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia, I too have weight gain, hair loss, headaches, fatigue, nausea. I have had all of my thyroid levels( TSH, T3, T4) checked and are all in normal limits. This is the first time I have heard someone else with a gallbladder disease say they also have these symptoms, I was begining to think I was crazy.

I Too have been diagnosed with Gallbladder disease (Biliary Dyskinesia), I have headaches, constant nausea, weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, extreme bloating. I am 37, this is the first time I have heard anyone mention Hair loss associated with gallbladder disease. I have also had all of my thyroid levels checked (TSH, T3, T4) all are in normal limits.

Dear Landlocked,
I saw your post on biliary dyskinesia. I have all of the same symptoms you do (including weight gain and headaches). My gallbladder ejection fraction is 13%. I'm deciding whether to have surgery. I am wondering if you have had the surgery, how it went, and if you notice any differences in your weight, headaches, bloating, eating?
Thank you so much,
Kathleen

I am having the weight gain, bloating and constant nausea too. It's been several months and it's not just from fats. It's just about everything I take in. I had a 0% Ejection Fracture rate on the HIDA Scan. Did surgery take all the symptoms away?

This is a relief to read---I, too, had serious headaches, fatigue, and nausea before having a gallbladder attack. The doctors told me that headaches and fatigue were not symptoms of gallbladder disease and that because I'm 25 and thin that I didn't meet the criteria---even though I have 3 other people in my family who've had gallbladder disease. When I was having the gallbladder attack, I went to the ER and they told me it was GERD (eyeball roll)---after the attack I felt better and did a gallbladder cleanse and have been feeling good for about 7 months, but the headaches and fatigue have started again, and I believe they may be indicating an impending attack....

Glad to know I'm not crazy.

I've been battling hair loss for about 3 years now and it just occurred to me that it might have something to do with my gallbladder. I have one VERY large stone stuck in my gallbladder, which pretty much makes it nonfunctional. My doctor recommended I have my GB removed as some point, but I've never done it. The diagnosis was made around the same time I started gaining weight and loosing my hair. I had my throid checked and it was apparantly ok. I never thought about a connection to the gallbladder.

Does anyone know why GB problems affect hair? I understand why you would gain weight, but why loose hair?

I had a bad gallbladder attack in July of this year that sent me to the ER. The said that I had stones and my outgoing duct was slightly enlarged. The recommended surgery, but I had no insurance, so I went home. I was placed on the Brat diet and maintained that diet for about 2 months. I slowly started eating regular foods and now have a normal diet (after 6 months). About 2 months ago, I noticed that I was losing a lot of hair. Way more than normal. Scarey amounts. I have done some research and this posting was the first I found that had any reference to hairloss and gallbladders. I had my thyroid check at the beginning of the year and all was good. So that is the only thing I can figure.

If you have the hair loss problem, and you have the surgery, does your hair loss stop? Or is there another way to prevent that? Maybe some specific vitamin? I was on a multi vitamin when the hair loss started. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. **

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

I had two gall bladder attacks and did not know what they were
each started where the other had finished in pain intensity so by the third attack i was crippled
i had belching of very bile tasting gas when i ate n e thing really painful wind and couldn't go near anything with fat init
i ended up in a n e with the pain i thought i was having a heart attack
the doctor said "sounds like your gall bladder" they checked my liver which was fine gave me tablets for gut spasms n let me go
i went to my doc who ordered a scan
two days before i got thescan result i passed a brown pigment stone through my liver which was absolutley horrendous
again thought i was dying
went to the doctors for my result and it was negative for stones blood tests where fine
now having passed a stone to be told that was a bit of a smack in the mouth
I asked what else could be done
she has suggested waiting a few months
seeing how it goes
in the mean time i am in unbearable pain have to run the gauntlet anytime i eat anything
can't drink can't exercise
and i am at a loss as to my next step
and since the stone passed i am now suffering burning headahces which nothing takes away except lying flat on my back all the time
any suggestions as to the way forward?
thanks in advance

I too have extreme hair loss that started around 3 years ago, which is around the same time I started experiencing stomache issues, which I now found was my gallbladder which I'm having out Friday. Does anyone know if hair loss stops after having it out? I'm terrified that my digestion will be so much worse after surgery that more will fall out. I told my dermatologist about this and my surgeon and they both said it was not related. How can medical professionals not know these things! I"m so frustrated with them right now and embarrassed at my hair loss and that I'll have to live with poor digestion for the rest of my life. If I would've only known better I would've taken better care of my gb eating no fat for life. Oh well, we live and we learn. I'll post in a few months after my surgery to see if the hair loss has stopped. If anyone is interested in starting an email group let me know, I think we need support like this.

I AM GOING TO HAVE MY GALLBLADDER OUT IN 2 WEEKS AND I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT MY WT GAIN AND HAIR LOSS COULD BE DUE TO THIS. MY GALLBLADDER IS FUNCTIONING AT 0% BUT I DO NOT HAVE ANY STONES. I HAVE BEEN FRUSTRATED FOR THE PAST YEAR WITH MANY SYMPTOMS. DOES THE HAIR LOSS IMPROVE AFTER THE GALLBLADDER IS OUT AND HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?

In reading various posts on the internet it is apparent to me that headaches (especially on the right side of the head) are definitely a symptom of gall bladder dysfunction. So why is it that doctors continue to tell us it is not? I have had no less than six very well respected doctors tell me that my headaches have nothing to do with my gallbladder symptoms. Now I am having my gallbladder removed; let's see if the headaches also disappear!

I'm right there in the same boat! So glad to see I'm not a nut case!! I was beginning to think I was!!

In October of 08, I was taken to the ER with severe chest pains. I had an EKG and they told me it was indigestion to go home. (We have a horrible 'bandaid' hospital). That night, the indigestion set in, and it was belch-a-roma for 2 days.

I noticed, a week before I started my period (during some serious PMS), these 'attacks' would appear. I would get really belchy, have chest pains, etc. I was a pepcid popper to the extreme!!

Well, at the end of April 09, I was driving home from a city only 20 minutes away. When I got home, I got out of the car, and experianced major lower abdominal pain. I couldn't stand, sit or lay down without it hurting, and my face began to get EXTREMELY flushed. Back to the ER!

Those idiots gave me an ultrasound for my ovaries. I kept telling them, I know what ovary pain is, and this was not it. (In 06 I had a cyst on my ovaries removed that was the size of a human head). Of course the ultrasound showed no cysts and back home they sent me.

The day after, I began to get extreme gas. My abdomen was distended, and it felt like I was getting the stomach flu. I went to use the restroom, and it felt like maybe I had some hemmorhoids because it hurt to wipe. (I know I know). I kept trying to use the restroom, but just came out feeling constipated.

I noticed in the toilet that day that the one time I could use the restroom, it was mucousy. I also noticed there was very small amounts of blood, but began to think it was from the hemmorhoids.

The next day, uncontrollable diarrhea. None of the food was digested in my stool. I notice that my stool varies in color. Most of the time it looks dark, but on the toilet paper it's yellow (Disgusting, I know.)

I started my period that same day, and it was SO heavy. The last time I had had a period that heavy was the first period I had had after I had my daughter. And I'm pretty sure the recent period was heavier.

Flash forward 3 weeks later, and I've been having so many symptoms I think I'm going to kill over! The stomach flu feeling has not went away. Now I'm plagued with a new symptom; the SEVERE head and neck pain. It is so bad that it wakes me up from my sleep, gives me the shakes and gives me hot flashes. I was fine with the feeling of the stomach flu, but add this horrible head/neck pain to it and I want to faint!

The neck pain radiates into the middle of my shoulder blades. The severity just depends on what is going on. I haven't been able to eat for a week. I tried to eat a piece of bread last night, and had the neck pain worsen. It feels like someone is beating me in the back of the head/neck. It's a horrible horrible feeling.

So my doc think I'm a quack! I've been to him 3 times in the week, and to the ER (I went for the headache because I just couldn't stand it anymore) as well. My blood tests showed my liver levels (SGOT and SGPT) were slightly elevated. I also had an ultrasound that showed I had small fat deposits on my liver (it's that damn Chinese food I can't break!!).

I have a HIDA scan scheduled in 7 days, and a cat scan and another ultrasound in 4 days. I just can't handle this constant pain anymore, it's so aggrivating. I've been prescribed Midrin for migraines, a muscle relaxer, darvocet (which my stomach can't handle so I just take Ibuprofren) and an antiacid. My doctor actually got frustrated with me and raised his voice to me at a doc appointment! He kept asking, "What are we here for? The stomach pain or headache?" And I kept saying, "If I have one, I have the other, they BOTH go together!" And he slapped his hands on the desk and said, "WHICH IS WORSE!"

Like a baby I started to cry!! LOL. The stress of all of this just got to me and I wanted to lunge and knock him out!

I just hope it's my gallbladder and they rip the sucker out! I'm so tired of seeing my 3 year old beg for me to get off the couch to play Barbie's and I can't even do that anymore. :-(

About 3 years ago I started getting a rash all over my body, turned out to be psoriasis. I'm an avid follower of holistic health practices, and from my reading and research have found that cases of psoriasis, especially severe cases with quick onset, is your body basically screaming for help. Your body is literally trying to tell you something is very wrong internally.

I also experienced IBS type symptoms and hair loss that started when my psoriasis started. And I went through all types of tests, an upper endoscopy, a colonoscopy... basically everything. But the docs couldn't find anything wrong with me.

It wasn't until December of 2008 that I started getting severe gallbladder attacks. Which I lay blame on starting to drink whole milk. Previously, for my entire life, I drank skim milk.

Well, I had my gallbladder removed in the beginning of January this year. No more attacks, a lot less psoriasis, but the hair loss has not stopped.

I believe the hair loss is due to my gallbladder problems and the resultant inability to properly digest fats and, in turn, absorb the proper levels of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals.

Now that I have no gallbladder, I still have problems digesting fat and not absorbing the proper amounts of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals.