Hello. I'm 26 year old sexually active female. I have some questions about some weird stuff that happened to me these couple of months.
About four months ago I have noticed these soft, moist and pink swellings on my genital area. I was terrified because I thought it was some STD. I was right. After seeing my gynecologist and some Papa smear testing I was diagnosed with some sexually transmitted disease called HPV or human papillomavirus. The worst thing about it is that there is no cure for it. Doctor scheduled me for another examination in 3 months. Just the other day I went to see him again and now- he determined that I'm completely healthy and that my virus just disappeared. Anyone had more information about this disease?

Hello. I know some facts about human papillomavirus and I will gladly share them with you. Most people who have a genital HPV infection do not know they are infected but the virus can be very dangerous because, beside the fact that it’s causing abnormal papa smear, it may also lead to cancer of the cervix, vulva, vagina and anus.
Like every other viral disease-it can't be treated with antibiotics and it’s highly unpredictable.
So, like you already said there is no cure for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. Good thing about it is that your immune system will remember that HPV type and keep you from getting it again. You were lucky but don’t play with your luck. Practice safe sex and protect your self from infection!

HPV will definitly lead to cancer if not treated!! GET a second opinion!!!!

Health Advisor
Excuse me but I will have to disagree with your statement. Although there are many types of HPV, only two of them are actually known to cause cervical cancer. Those types of virus that cause warts don’t usually cause cervical cancer but those other two does. I don’t know their exact names.

If a person had frequent infections with the 'high risk' types, they are at more risk of developing cervical cancer. There are tests to determine which type of the virus a person has. It is said that the vast majority of women infected with these viruses DON”T develop cervical cancer and that there must be other factors present.

Although there is no cure for HPV, it happens that the body’s immune system represses the virus to a low level. It is not know if the virus is fully eliminated or not but in time, the virus becomes less contagious.
There are treatments to remove the warts like a laser removal and some gynecologist even use special creams that dry the warts and eliminate them.

i have read averywhere that the virus can not be eliminated, so to hear that it just dissapeared is amazing. could it be that is was a mistake or that it is so repressed by the immune system that the test was negative?
i wish there would be a way to fight it and eradicate it competely. i have experienced all different kinds of facial warts and recently have developed something in my genital area. i am very frightened by it.

the worst thing too that i might have given it to my ex. it happened that i kissed a guy a few months ago. we were in the park when a squirrel bit me and he took my finger in his mouth. this happened so fast that i didn't take it away. my question is 'did he get the virus?' would a drop of blood infect him? please help..

hello

i have experienced a few facial warts in the past and recently i have developed something in my genital area. i am vey worried and down because of that. it's frightenning to know that the virus doesn't go away..?

could it be that the infection can dissapear eventually?

another thing that worries me: i have had a short relationship with a guy; we only kissed. we were in the park when a squirrel bit me and he took my finger in his mouth. it happened so fast i didn't take it away.

could he have been infected with HPV from a drop of blood in the mouth?

please help

HPV strains 6 and 11 cause genital warts and are not known to cause cervical cancer, while strains 16 and 18 are known to cause cervical cancer.

I would like to say that HPV CAN DISAPPEAR! I also had been diagnosed with it about 5 yrs ago and have had many tests since and have no signs! I was also told by my physician that some woman can have one episode and can recover from it (which was me!).

Yes, many do carry it for the rest of their lives.....but by the grace of god! Mine also went away.

Do not seek advise in these forums, people don't know anything about HPV. Not even doctors know sometimes. HPV 16 and 18 are high risk HPV, but even those are usually eliminated by the body's own immune system. If they persist they MAY turn into Cervical displasia and then MAY turn into cancer.

People here are not researchers nor are qualified to inform you. All resent studies including the 2006 CDC report to the congress indicate that HPV wether it is High risk or Low risk (wart causing) go away with time and never come back, as statistics back it up. Yes it is a Virus and we all know that, yes it could cause dead, but so do many many things. Most likely, you will clear the virus and never have to worry about it again.

To answer your question, your warts have disappeared, but not the virus itself. That, unfortunately, will forever remain in your system. Have no fear. There are over 100 different types of HPV, some are external, some internal, and some both. Depending on what type of HPV you have, you might never have to worry about another occurence again. Many HPVs consists of one outbreak and then the virus stays dormant in you for the rest of your life, like other viruses (lyme disease, though Lyme can re-occur in some people.) However, this does not mean that you are in the clear. Because it is so hard to pinpoint which type exactly you have (usually they can only detect if it is a cancer-causing one or not,) you still need to practice safe sex and go each year for a pap-smear to make sure everything's ok.

I was 15 when treated for the HPV virus I'm now 22 and mine is gone as well.

I think it lasted for 3 to 4 years but when break outs happened I was given creams to use and they worked! :-D

I got cervical cancer a month after I had my daughter. I have never had warts or any other STD. I do not remeber what the cause was because I could not understand what the doctor was saying. What else could have caused the cancer? It seems like most people on here are saying HPV is the only other way.

I've read the following and i'd like to find out if... since i have a high risk HPV (CN 2) and if my abnormal cell are removed, should my HPV virus go away after the surgery or i could have it forever?...Generally, do high risk HPV types go away if treated or only low risk types?

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, "HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now."

I was diagnosed with HPV at 18, when I was pregnant with my first child. I had abnormal cells which turned out to be pre-cancerous cells. I was supposed to be scheduled to have these cells "burned off" after I gave birth. But when checked again they had gone on there own without treatment. HPV only causes cancer when these abnormal cells that do not disappear on their own are left unchecked and therefore untreated.
Two years later I became pregnant with my second child. I was checked for all diseases once again and did not have HPV anymore. So people please stop scaring the ones that have HPV by saying they will have it forever. Almost every sexually active person has had at least one type of HPV at some point. Also though, if you have had one type, and your immune system got rid of it, your immune system should be immune to that type, but not other types! You can still get another type of HPV. So, be careful and do not think because you have had HPV before you won't get it again.