Hopefully someone here can give me a suggestion on what probable cause my son's constant illnesses could have. Our pediatrician unfortunately ran out of reasons.
Here the medical history if needed.
-2 months old - Bronchiolitis
-16 months old - started daycare and getting colds
-18 months old - liquid in his ears (UNTIL today, age 24 months)
-18 months old - 2 hospital stays due to Pneumonia + 1 hospital stay for stomach virus/dehydration (a specialist suggested later that it probably was not Pneumonia but rather Asthma attacks)

Today he's 24 months old and for the past 6 months he has been sick twice a month. It always starts as a cold. Then starts high fever and vomiting. The fever lasts very often for several days (6 days).
Most of the time the doctors call it an ear infection without really checking.
Sometimes they say it is an infection but they can't determine where.

So he has been given antibiotics about 12 times within the past 6 months.
This goes far beyond the typical "he just started daycare so he will be constantly sick" since every sickness becomes intense.

Is there anyone who has had a similar experience or is there maybe a profesional who has a suggestion what it might be ?

Thanks in advance.

My daughter is 18 months and I am currently going through the same - she's been sick about twice a month for the past 6 months. Right about the time that she started daycare was the time that she started getting sick all the time. Bronchial infections, high fevers, pink eye, ear infections all the time.

For the ears, I'm scheduling an appointment to get my daughter checked by an ear specialist to see if it's just as simple as putting tubes in her ears. If your pediatrician hasn't recommended it already, I would check with an ear specialist down there and see if his might be one of the underlying problems causing your son to get sick all the time.

This is part of an article about middle ear infections, I have the link below so you can read more about it.

We all have a small passage leading from the middle ear to the back of the nose called the eustachian tube, which equalizes the air pressure between the middle ear and the outside world. (When your ears pop while yawning or swallowing, your eustachian tubes are adjusting the air pressure in your middle ears.) Bacteria or viruses can enter the middle ear through the eustachian tube and cause an infection — this often occurs when a child has had a cold or other respiratory infection. When the middle ear becomes infected, it may fill with fluid or pus, particularly if the infection is bacterial. Pressure from this buildup pushes on the eardrum and causes pain, and because the eardrum cannot vibrate, the child may experience a temporary decrease in hearing.

Symptoms of otitis media include:

pulling or rubbing the ears because of ear pain
fever
fussiness or irritability
fluid leaking from the ear
changes in appetite or sleeping patterns
trouble hearing

The link to that is:(http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/ear_infections.html)

From my own knowledge, when a child has a middle ear infection like that all the time, his/her antibodies are naturally trying to fight off that infection. A lot of the time the body will naturally fight off that infection, it just takes a lot more time. Of course when you're dealing with a toddler who is so cranky and has a high fever, your natural instinct is to take him to the doctor, your pediatrician is going to perscribe an antibiotic to clear that infection right away. The problem with antibiotics is that they not only kill the bad antibodies, but they kill the good ones as well, making his immune system weaker. Basically, all of the work that his body did is lost, and he hast to start over from scratch. His little body is working extra hard trying to produce more good antibodies, making him more succeptible to anything that's going around. Therefore making his immune system weaker. Your son (and my daughter), he socializes with children, the chances of him getting sick more often are higher (especially at the toddler age) they are constantly slobbering all over the toys, and passing everything back and forth. With a common cold, it can be contagious for up to 6 weeks. So say somebody in your sons class just recently got over a cold, it is still communicable, meaning that somebody else is giong to catch it. The children who are already immune to it, probably not, but a litlte one who is fighting off a middle ear infection while trying to produce new antibodies is going to catch it right away.

It's like when you're working over time. Normally, you're pretty mellow you can handle things pretty easily, and you try not to get stressed out too much. When you're working over time, your body is constantly under pressure, and therefore you are become more irritable, you become more "susceptible" to the little things that normally wouldn't bother you. You snap over something as simple as a type-o or your'e in the middle of something, and your son wants attention, normally you'd give it to him, but you're so stressed that you snap at him and say "i'll be done in just a minute, leave me be!" (it's okay we've all done it).

Your body works the same way. When it's working over time, it's going to "snap" so to say when so much as a cold comes in. And because his immune system is weakened, he's going to have an incredibly high fever (that little body is trying so hard to produce enough antibodies to kill that infection) and the cold is probably going to end up turning into something else.

My advice: Talk to an ear specialist and see about getting tubes in his ears.

Next: He's over 2 now, teas are really good for him to have. I recommend Echinacea, a brand in particular if you can get to the grocery store is YOGI TEA - Echinace Immune support. Toddlers kindof turn their nose to tea at first, but like I said, he's over 2, so you can start giving him Honey to sweeten it up. The tea is sweet as it is, but for a little one who probably has never had tea before, it's going to be a unique flavor that probably is going to get a nose turned up before a "MM thanks mommY!" The honey makes it sweet and it's really beneficial for you as well. Egyptians used to use it to clear up a lot of different infections: here's a good website about the health benefits of it.

http://www.femhealth.com/BenefitsofHoney.html

Anyway don't fret, I'm getting a lot of flack about it myself from my family.

In the mean time until you can get tubes, here are some interesting home remedies for ear infections that might help:

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=74

Good luck!

Wow. Your going through what ive already been through for 2 years with my 3 yr old son. My son was born with allergies. He never got one ear infection or a cold until he was 11 mnths old. Strep throat. He was put on antibiotic and a nebulizer for wheezing. Its been downhill since then. He got earinfections and fever everytime we turned around. His pedia. couldnt tell what caused half of his fevers either. I work not long after he first got sick. Of course, he caught all the illnesses going through daycare. For 2 years we battled fever, ear infections, being on nebulizer twice, diagnosed as lactose intolerant,(little belly stay distended), restricted diet, antibiotic after antibiotic, allergy medicine, (sometimes he would be on 2 or 3 at once trying to find a combination), but to no avail. Hes seen specialists, had tests ran on him, blood drawn, had to be rushed to pedia. office because he fell and got a huge goose egg on his forhead, because the ear infections and fluid on the ears knocks off equilebrium. I can go and on about what hes been through. And it all boils down to removing his tonsils, (the stayed flared up), and removing his adnoids (they stayed flared up too). And getting tubes put in his ears. At least we hope this will solve most of his problems. He just had surgery for all 3 procedures on April 5, 2007. Its been the hardest and longest 1 1/2 hours. I cried the whole time he was in surgery. I had no idea, never even thought how he would react to coming out from under the anestetic. The whole experience was horrible. I just wish someone had prepared me for what it would like for him until he came completely out from under anestetic. (the next day.) We wont know how hes healing until his follow-up appt. next wk. I hope these tubes stay in long enough for his ears to get better. Im not sure i can let him go through that again........ :-( I suggest you take him to a ear, nose and throat specialist as soon as possible. I almost let my sons go too long. His ear drums were getting thick from all the scar tissue from all the ear infections hes had. Plus, fluid on the ears affects their speech when they are learning to talk. They dont hear the words or letters correctly. We are having a small problem with my son pronouncing some of his words incorrectly. He should be talking better than what he is at three yrs old.

WOW!!!! Your going through what my 3 yr old son has gone through for the last 2 yrs. He was born (April) with bad allergies. He was never sick until he was 11 months old, not evan a cold or ear infection. I stayed home with him until right before his first b-day. And i kept him home away from other kids and illnesses. Strep throat. :-( Its been downhill for him ever since. He was put on an antibiotic and nebulizer because he was wheezing. And his first ear infection. He has been sick ever since with ear infections, fever,(that cant always be explained), he was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, which meant diet restrictions too. His little belly stayed swollen-distended. He would have 4 to 5 diarreha diapers a day if not more. As soon as we would get an infection cleared up, he would have another. I had to go back to work just before his 1st b-day. Yep, he caught every illness that went through daycare. He has been sent to specialists, at a major childrens hospital. They ran test on him from Upper G.I. , X-rays, drew blood, sent off bowel movements to be tested for bacteria, (concerning his lactose intolerance), and so on. He outgrew being lactose intolerant. But the fevers and ear infections never let up. Hes been on several different types of allergy medicines at one time trying to find the right combo, but to no avail. I've had to rush him to his pedia. office, (his equiliberum stayed out of kilt because of the fluid on his ears), so he was always falling and getting hurt. He's got huge goose eggs on his forhead from falling on concrete. I was told a while back that he needs tubes in his ears, but i was too afraid of what could happen to in surgery. So, i said no. Finally, his pedia. told me shes referring him to a nose, throat, and ear specialist. She said he needs his tonsils and adnoids removed becaused they always stayed imflamed and flared up, and he needs tubes in his ears. We went and seen the specialist, he agreed, ran hearing on him. He had no movement in his ear. My son had the surgery for all three procedures on 4-05-07. That was about the hardest thing for to let him go to the operating room screaming. It was the longest hour and a half. I cried the whole time he was in surgery. It was heartbreaking to see him try to come out from under the anestetic. He was fighting everything and everybody. But hes almost back to himself. He didnt sleep through the night before the surgery, and hes not sleeping through the night. I just hope the tubes stay in his ears long enough to do some good........We wont know how well hes healing until nent week at his follow-up appt.

I would advise you take your son to a nose, throat and ear specialist. I almost waited too long. The doctor told me, after his surgery, his ear drums were getting thick from all the scar tissue from all the ear infections. And fluid on the ears also affects their speech when they are learning to talk. They dont hear the letters or words clearly with fluid on the ears. My son has a small problem with pronouncing his words clearly. Wish you all the luck.......

I have a history of asthma so when my 1 month old started with the wheezing I instantly figured that's what it was. He is almost 2 years old now and he has been on antibiotics more time's than i can remember. It kills me every time. I have taken him to an ear nose and throat doc., and the asthma and allergy specialist. They all seem to want to prescribe antibiotics. One interesting thing that the ear specialist told me is that children that are often treated for asthma are realy suffering from acid reflux. Acid reflux causes ear infections, upper respitory infections, fevers, sinus infections, vomiting, etc. My son is yet to be diagnosed with any chronic illness including asthma, I just know that his acid reflux can irritate any cold. It always starts with the common cold. He was prescribed zantac, but that's only supposed to be used as a temporary, not permanent, solution. I am so frustrated, with the doctor route, I am now seeking natural alternative cures.

Hi.

Accidentally read your post while searching for the subject 'toddlers and fever'. Your situation sounds familiar. I have a 2.5 year old who was (still is) constantly sick - i.e. at least two times a month with ear infections, fever, constantly on antibiotics. Luckily, when he started having more than one infection at a time (specifically he had 'hand-foot-mouth' along side a strep infection), our pediatrician checked his immunoglobulin (Ig) levels. We discovered he was immunodeficient. He has an IgA deficiency - the most common immunodeficiency among humans (approximately 1:200 people have it) though it is rarely diagnosed because very few people get sick enough to check for it. It explained his constant ear infections (he got tubes) and in part his eczema and milk intolerance. We are now more proactive about treatment whenever he gets sick (though he still gets sick a lot).

Hope this helps.

I just happen to be reading about some viruses and rashes and saw your posting. I just read a site about how a child who may have a fever for more than 5 days and no other explanations for sickness should be looked at for Kawasaki's disease. It's a scary thing and there is no test for it, but I would recommend asking your doctor. It can some times be misdiagnosed for ear infections. Be prepared to read some alarming information when you research it and don't let your self get worked up but read on it and then ask a lot of questions but don't allow yourself to freak out unitl you know for sure if it is or isn't Kawasaki. Good luck. I will be praying it isn't. I hope this was helpful. Oh and I'm just a mom of a 13 month old who is also constantly sick. God bless.

"Udaipur99" Hopefully someone here can give me a suggestion on what probable cause my son's constant illnesses could have. Our pediatrician unfortunately ran out of reasons.
Here the medical history if needed.
-2 months old - Bronchiolitis

Thanks in advance.

I believe my son is going through the same things. Ear infections, sinus infections, allergies, asthma, fever, etc. He's in daycare, I attribute 90% of the cause to that. He just had his adenoids out and tubes in about a month ago to no avail. Well, that's not entirely true. He doesn't have ear infections anymore. I shouldn't be surprise, I never thought that was the cause of his problems.

I asked my doc about an immune deficiency but he doesn't think that's it. Right now he either has walking pneumonia or an adenoid virus. Whatever it is really sucks. He is sneezing out bloody and thick mucous. He's on an antibiotic, breathing treatments, allergy meds, decongestant, tylenol for fever, and eye drops! Don't you think I feel like I'm over medicating a bit?! His eyes are terrible and he's so congested. I think he was born like this though.

Thanks for the advice. About the ears, take your own child to the ENT, don't wait for someone to tell you. I didn't wait and it was the best thing. His adenoids were large and his ears had fluid but luckily no scarring. No problems with tonsils as of yet.

I wonder if there was something going on around the time all these babies were born?!?! We live in Texas, anyone else?

Alison

It might be that the care the children recieve is dangerous to your child. 1. Crying leads to these issues
2. Being on a floor leads to hands to mouth illnesses
3. Diaper changers cross contaimination of child to child
4. Sanitation is a huge issue
5. Go unannounced during a "busy" time see how many kids are screaming crying with snot clogged nostrils.

6. I did #5 before attempting to put my baby in a daycare. I quit my career because of what I saw repeatedly at different daycares. Surely seeing people putting other children in danger will be your wake up call.

7. Vitamins, garlic, orange juice

8. Igas get it checked out

9. Strep or Staph can go under the radar so be persistent in getting these two checked by a culture through a lab.

i read these post as i was looking up why my 5 year old daughter has been having a fever twice in month.

i have a daughter who's 5 and since she turned one she was poorly with a fever in her first birthday and she kept getting poorly every month, and one time she got this fever it was about 39.0 Celsius, i took her doctors and he sent her home with capol, i gave her this and 20 mins later her temp went up to 40.0, and she had difficulty breathing i rushed her to hospital they got her temp down. Every time she gets a temp now if it gets to 39.0 i do everything possible to get this temp down ive used cooling strips, wet flannels, a fan and capol and ibuprofen, as when she was in hospital they used capol and ibuprofen and a fan and brought it down.
at the age of 4 she got chicken pox but wasn't too bad
shes had ear infection twice. She did calm down for a period until she started school since going school, she has had lots of flu and diarrhea, recently she has got worms and as we took her to be treated for this, she had a very high temp of 39.5 and i was up 3 hour in the night to get this down and this was only about 3 weeks ago, and she now has got another high temp of 39.8 and did the same to bring this down, she has also got sniffly nose and chesty cough and sore throat.

i also have a son who's now 14 month old, when he was born he had problems going toilet for a pooh, the health visitor said to give him a carton milk, as it had slight laxative in it, this worked but when he turned 4 month old he has been nothing but diarrhea.since he had his first injections at 2 months old he has always been poorly once a month with high temp, at the age of 6 months my son got chicken pox off my daughter witch he had this really bad, he was plastered in spots and some were sore and his temp was really high and could not drink or eat very well, he was restless at night as soon as he dropped off to sleep he would jump out of his skin and wake up crying. As the result of him getting poorly every month lasting over a week we have not got around to getting his 2nd and 3rd injections.
when my son gets poorly his chest sounds very rattly and the doctor says its fine, recently when my son was 12 months old i took him to the hospital doctors as he was very hot and he sounded wheezy, my sister in law herd this but by th time i got there it sounded better.they didn't go anything for him just sent him home.

every time i have taken my kids to the doctors they just tell me there fine its nothing. only twice i have had antibiotics to fight the infections for them. Most of the time the doctors says the chest is clear or they say we cannot give antibiotics coz there pointless as they need the body to fight the infections. But sometime id rather them give it as my children are suffering. Its like the doctors now don't seen to care they like to shove you out the surgery quick they don't actually care anymore.
When i was a kids and my temp was hight my mum phoned up the doctor and he came out to see me but if i ask them to come out now they say no come to the surgery

once i had a very bad case of sinusitis, what i thought was just flu. I woke up one morning went to make my daughter who was 1 some breakfast, i stood up went dizzy and threw up, every time i stood up i went dizzy and threw up my head was banging constantly, most of my symptoms was like meningitis, all i didn't have was fits.My husband was at work that day and my daughter was poorly too, i called the doctor to ask if he could come out to see me as i could walk very far and had no transport to get there with my child,and he sed no i had to make my way there i didn't have any money on me to get a taxi either,im not usually bothered about being poorly i try not to take anything for it, i usually deal with pain, but this actually made me cry as i was on the phone to the doctors. It was my 21st birthday and my nan and sister inlaw had came around to visit, so they luckily took me there, thats when he looked at me and was shocked it was that bad, coz not many people get a very bad case of sinusitis. He gave me antibiotics for that but it was still sick of the doctor to treat me like this

i think though the kids have got this past down from me getting poorly all the time coz when i was a child i was poorly once a month for a week it was normally tonsillitis, i then got my tonsils removed at age of 11 but still was poorly. Every time the kids get poorly i normally get it bad too but i don't have time to feel sorry for myself when i gotta tend to my kids.
Now when they get poorly i just normally do the same thing get temp down give medicines ect, as i hate going to the doctors, i feel they look at me as im a hypochondriac and wasting there time.

My son was sick from about 6 months until they detected a heart problem when he was 2.

Lots of ear infections, until he had tubes at 11 months, then sinus infections, pnemonia. Lots of nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach. Fever, night sweats, very fussy all the time.

The pnemonia led to an x-ray, which showed an enlarged heart. They said it was normal, but I pushed for more tests, which meant a large ASD, no chance of closing on it's own. They used a catader to insert an occluter device in his heart to close the hole - he just turned 2. One year later he grew almost 6 inches and gained 8 pounds. It was a complete turnaround.

Although toddlers can be sick a lot, sometimes you just know it's something more. If you sense that feeling push for more tests until you are satisfied with the explanation.

Hi, I have been seeking out some help for one of my daycare kids. I have had him in my care since he was 2-months old. At first he really wasn't sick at all even when other kids were getting sick(It was Winter time, January). But, his mother had a friend from out of town come visit with her children and the infant had just gotten over RSV disease. I thought RSV only affected preemies but, apparently it can affect older infants too because her little one got it too. After that he has been sick twice a month for some time now. It always starts out as a runny nose then he will have a fever for a couple days ( He has fereable Seizures as well). His first seizure was in my care on Halloween night 2007. That was scary. Well anyway he is sick yet again it started the same way as usual and now he is getting bloody noses he has had several just today. His mom thinks it's beacuse he has allergies and all the smoke in the air from the fires are causing the nose bleeds. The smoke in the air really isn't that bad because the fires are really far from us so I don't think that is what it is. He sounds really sick and raspy in his lungs just like the last time he had phnemonia. He hasn't had another fever for days now but, that was the same thing that happened the first time he had the seizure. I really would like some answers so I can atleast relay the information to his mom. I would really hate that something really bad is wrong with him that has gone undiagnosed and him suffer or even die as a result. Please help if you have any ideas at all of what this could be or if you think i'm over reacting. Thank you.

My daughter was 9 months old when she got horribly sick. She ran 104-105 fever, and had a HORRIBLE ear infection. She continued to have them and I was finally referred to a ENT. Anytime she had a runny nose, you can bet she had either an ear infection or tonsilitis. The ENT didn't wait long to put tubes in her ears, and boy what a difference it made. She still gets horrible runny nose at times and it will effect her tonsils (which she just recently got off of antibiotics for) however, she's only had 2 mild ear infections and is doing great. Unfortunately, the tubes are just about to come out. (6-9 mths post surgery) I'm a little concerned when cold/flu season starts up that we'll be right back to square one. FYI, when she had the horrible infection at 9 mths old, she rarely ate, and when she did she would vomit. She lost 1 lb in about a 1 1/2 week's time. It was actually the antibiotic making her stomach upset - AUGMETIN.. I refuse this medication to be given to my child now b/c I had a horrible time w/it. I also changed daycares. Thank God for the daycare she's at now. She rarely gets sick. I would have to pick her up from daycare 2-3 times a month at the previous daycare.

my son had a smiliar situation. He was sick everytime we trurned around! He is 31/2 now and doing much better. Like everyone said, def take him to a ear, nose, and throat specalist. When I took my son I founf out that he needed tubes in his ears and his Adnoids removed(which are in the nose and can become infected causing a child to get sick more often). It tokk a little while for his immune system to boost up, but it did. I also use to work at the vitamin shoppe for years and learned alot. I give my son 3 very important vitamns that adults and chilren should take veryday that are EXTREMELY good for the immune system and lots of other thing too. They are all natural so you dont have to worry about side affects.

1) Accidolphilus(its in the fridge section at a vitamn store, best thing you can give for fighting bad bacteria and boosting immune system)

2)Multi vitamin( anything like a flinstone vitamin or even gummies are located in the vitamin shoppe.

3)Omega 3. The vitamin shoppe has a rasberry chew one that my son likes at the vitamin shoppe. It doesnt smell fishy or taste it either.It boosts brain function and immune.
these 3 things are the best things you can give a child or even a toddler everyday to help keep their immune system strong, even for adults!

GODD LUCK and please have the childs adnoids and ears checked by a ear,nose and throat specialist

I am a mother of 6 and now with 8 grandchildren I still see some of the same things as when my children were younger. I'm no doctor but I have suffered from what others thought was colds since I was born. The fact is My body is always fighting an infection of some kind. I was born with air borne allergies. All my life and even now at 52 I still have trouble. Once a cell count was done, my white cells always seems to out number my red, and a doctor told me that because there were so many things in the air, it makes it hard to pin point the one thing that really makes me sick. Though today there's many new test to help. Do you have old carpet or old mattress?,, Carpet like uncovered mattresses that's old holds mold, dirt, mites, and other critters. Fuzzy pretty stuffed animals are another dust collector and hold dust mites. Even living in an old house,, or one that sits close to the ground that allows water to stand under the house can become dangerous. Most people don't want to believe that if you cant see something, it cant make you sick, its the not true, our eyes are far from being microscopic. You might consider and allergist and have test ran. Kids past germs back and forth in day care alot or school. A child that has a low immunity will easily become sick around anyone that is sick. They are more susceptible to all kinds of infections. Its impossible to keep a child away from all of today's bugs, and even using to much hand sanitizer and other things like this can break down the immunity in a child also, but you might pay close close attention to what one or two things a child is around when he or she becomes sick so much. Also watch the use household cleaners,, mostly the pine scented ones or acidity ones. Also consider using a cover on all vents. Try to stay to more natural fabrics and natural as possible soaps. Remember also,,Note what you wear around a child . Note what the child eats each day and how he reacts withing a few min after eating. Keep a log of each days events, times and places, surroundings, what ever is close to a child and the child's reactions of the day. The end of one week go back and read it. See if there's anything that each day has in common with each other. If a child keeps a lot of colds, it may not be cold. It could be allergies and yes even now I have asthma and severe sinus trouble. Rainy days are always rough, and high mold count days. Stress is another factor also. Stress breaks down your immunities. Any way this is just a suggestion. See an allergist.