Hi, lately I have constant problems with breathing and need to take deep breath. Is it asthma? I am 27 years old, and has suffered some allergies as child, but noting else.

Breathing is essential for functioning of the whole body, and constant oxygen supply is extremely important for brain. Asthma is increasingly common disease. An asthma attack is characterized by hampered breathing. Air flow through the lungs is interrupted and patient feels as he can’t get enough breath. There is no cure for asthma, the condition can only be controlled if treated in a proper way. If your symptoms are present for a while, you need to ask for professional help. Sooner you put asthma under control, you will experience less severe form of the disease.

Could be anxiety. I had this problem as well. Try to control your breathing or not think about your breathing. I went and got an asthma test and it turned out negative, but I and my Doc knew that it was most likely related to anxiety. He prescribe Xanax which I took for about a month but I stopped b/c I didn't want to become dependent on the drug but it helped, it just made me drowsy. I just pray and try to change some of my activities in life to reduce stress and overcome the anxiety.

maybe you are in love my friend

I have exactly the problem you're describing. I'm 27 now, and this started to be a constant problem about 2.5 years ago--some days are worse than others, but it's pretty much present all of the time. On good days, my breathing is okay, but I need to constantly yawn or sigh deeply. On bad days, my breathing is more difficult (like my lungs are constricted and can't fill to capacity or something), and it's really bad when I CAN'T achieve a yawn. My chest will hurt, and I almost have to stretch out or twist around to get in a better position to achieve the yawn or sigh.
I had a really bad "episode" two years ago and went to the ER (I had already ruled out asthma with my doctor, plus, the inhalers he gave me "just in case" never helped at all) and they checked blood, did chest x-rays, ECG, etc. and didn't see ANYTHING wrong or out of the ordinary. The ER doc thought it was most likely anxiety-related and gave me some Ativan. I later went to a different general practitioner, who was 99% sure it was my own manifestation of Panic Disorder, which can be totally displaced anxiety (meaning, you don't necessarily feel panicked right in a stressful situation, but it could be hours or days later).
I have to admit that I have been (ha) too busy to follow up w/bloodwork with her to rule out some other thing, but I really do think this is the most likely answer. I've worked on mentally getting better when I have a bad breathing day--calming myself, writing down everything on my to-do list or everything that's bothering me, basically getting everything out of my head. Also, if I remind myself that it's in my head and not real, or if I force myself to just not focus on it, it seems to get better. I'll realize 3 hours later that I can't remember if I kept having problems.
The bad news is that I have googled up and down the internet about this, and everyone who seems to have the same problem says that it never goes away. I've never found anyone who has a name for this or who has "cured" it.

I went through these same symptoms this year. Sitting and talking to someone, I was out of breath. Walking up the stairs left me heaving to catch my breath. I would even yawn incessantly. I am 21 years old and healthy. I was afraid that it was somehow related to the heart or cardiovascular because my family has a history of heart problems. This thought just made my breathing problem worse. I went to the doctor, told her my symptoms and she had me try an anti-depressant called Paxil. I started with a small dose, 10mg. I was suffering from anxiety. I had no idea seeing as I've never had any type of depression or anxiety before in my life. The medicine worked, and I haven't had any problems since. That was two months ago. I think it's common to take anxiety medication for a prolonged time.

Hope that helps!

Deep breathing and a constant need to yawn can be a sign of low blood sugar. I sometimes chop up a raw habanero pepper and add a portion of it to my food for breakfast, lunch and dinner . The heat from the pepper makes me breathe deeper and it helps...a lot. Note that if you add it to an oily or fatty food then you won't feel as much heat and it won't help as much. I sometimes even add it to my breakfast cereal to get me breathing really deeply in the morning. It never seems obvious to doctors, but if you are breathing deeper or yawning it is generally the case that you body is trying to get more oxygen. Consuming something hot (spicy hot not temp hot) with a meal will make you breathe deeper and help you get more oxygen. I have found that meditation also helps. Thirty minutes to an hour of deep breathing meditation works wonders.

KBB, what you described is exactly what I have been dealing with for months now. Doctor's dismissed it as nothing much to my chagrin. I don't really have chest pain though aside from unrelated excess gas, but I always have this problem, some days my breathing is better but I know it's still there, other days I'm struggling to take deep breaths to be satisfied and I feel like my lungs are constricted, and all the stuff you said about trying not to focus on it and it seemingly getting better or whatever.

Sigh. So no one else knows how to make it go away? Guest's suggestion of Paxil suddently looks very tempting.

KBB, what you had is almost exactly what I deal with and have for 4 months now, save for the chest pain which I don't really deal with in relation to my breathing. At least I'm not insane, thank goodness.

Guest's suggestion of Paxil sounds great right about now.

I am suffering from the same thing right now. Some days are better then others. I have not been to a doctor yet but I am pretty sure its either the start of asthma from my severe acid reflux or me just noticing it and causing myself anxiety about it. I guess I do have one other option. I have mold all over the ceiling in my bathroom and have been putting it off for some time because I have to put a whole new ceiling in. Inhaling mold for long periods of time could cause breathing problems. I am replacing the ceiling next week to rule that out.

I have tried taking Klonopin from a family member which is for anxiety at a dose of .5mg and it seems to work pretty well as for getting my mind off it at least so I can work. I work from home so it sucks if i start thinking about it all day and get no work done. I tried Xanax one time but it made me too tired. Klonopin at a dose of .5mg or less does not. I would not suggest using Paxil. Ask for a different anxiety medicine or do your research on Paxil before asking for it. It has some real crappy side effects and long term effects. My wife switched to Lexapro for anxiety and minor depression after the Paxil was causing some real strange side effects and it has been great for her.

I have been having chest pain and trouble breathing - it has lasted almost 3 weeks and can become very bad at times.
I genuinely thought I might have something wrong with my heart or chest but after a couple of tests(chest x ray, blood tests, ECG, breathing tests) and all coming back clean I did not know what to think. After a bit of research I now believe I have 'hyperventilation syndrome'. My symptoms were the tight chest, really deep breaths about ever 20 seconds or so and this got worse and brought high levels of anxiety with it. The other major symptom is the yawning - when i do yawn properly it feels like i actually can breathe properly but then then they continue - voluntary or involuntary im not sure. On certain days it gets worse, and the following day I wake up with a very sore back as the muscles are strained from my constant deep breaths. Sometimes I get a little bit dizzy and I feel as though my heart is beating twice as much.
Those who have not suffered from it cannot understand how genuinely distressing it can be and how physically and emotionally it can drain a person. It has effected myself in both those aspects and I now believe it is brought on by stress. At the start I couldnt work it out - thinking im not a stressed person and I dont care that much about things etc but the more i thought about it the more it made sense. A huge amount of small stressors or a very long period (months) of stress here and there I think can bring it on, and the worst thing is you dont even realise what is happening to you until it starts.
I am still suffering from it but will be trying some anti-anxiety medication to see if that helps.
search hyperventilation syndrome on this website. I hope it is as helpful to you as it was to me.

I am 25 now and have suffered the same breathing problems described above since I was 20. I went through a bad break up with my first boyfriend when I was about 20. I had come over from south africa and was living with my Aunt in the uk. The break up effected me really bad and I found myself thinking of nothing else but him. I lost a lot of weight and got very depressed. I found myself not being able to take deep breaths, at first it would happen for about an hour each day. I would sleep fine and when I woke in the morning and started to think about my breathing I found it getting harder to take a deep breath. I even started waking in the night hyperventilating. I didn't know what was happening and my Aunt took me to the doctors, who did blood tests and tested for Asthma, all came back clear. I was given beta blocker to take but my Mom didn't want me to start on them, so I didn't. I was unhappy in my current job and so changed jobs, I booked a holiday to south africa and suddenly I started feeling a bit better. I had my bad days and good days.

After my holiday to south africa, I came back very positive. My Mom had taken me to the doctors in SA - who suggested it was anxiety. My Mom put me on some good vitimins and when I was back in the UK, I felf almost my old self again. I started going out again with my friends and even put a bit of weight on. I forgot all about my breathing and was able to talk about what had been happening in my life and address the problem.
Then 12 months later I met my husband. I was very happy and after 6 months we brought a house together. I felt it was the right thing to do but when we started looking at houses ect, I started to sigh a lot and take deep breaths. ( I think the thought of having a mortgage on a house made me panic a bit) I found myself yawning just to be able to get a satisfied deep breath. I somethimes got panic attacks too. The panic attacks came when I am unable to take a deep breath as I thought something bad was going to happen. We moved into the house and got engaged. We got married 12 months ago and I was very nervous on my wedding day I would start panicking about taking a deep breath. My wedding day went well but the whole time up until today I have good days and bad. Some days I get really fed up as I am trying to put on weight again and can't. I eat a normal healthy diet. I am very emotional and do feel it is anxiety and panic. I do try and be positive but it scares me thinking I may hve to live like this forever. I have thought about going on to the beta blocker and take a small dosage to see if this helps? I know I can beat this again but I got very upset when all the symptoms came back the second time as I thought I was over it. Any suggestions?

Man I'm glad i found this Post. I thought I was contracting Asthma. I'm only 18 and have had this problem for a few months now. It got worse after my first (admittedly terrible) semester of college. Not to mention my car broke down the same week, and I lost my job lol. My parents said it was stress, I guess they were right. As for a cure, I'm going to try and keep a positive attitude, and try to improve my confidence level. I'll also experiment with hours of sleep. I'll keep coming back with updates and what not. If anyone out there knows anything else, please post it, seriously, anything helps with this stupid breathing disorder.

I'm getting the exact same symptoms, feeling I can't take a deep breath properly and needing to yawn, but the yawn doesn't happen! Feeling like I need to sigh alot ie taking a deep breath. It's worse when I'm aware of it. I've had a blood test to check for anaemia as I sometimes suffer with it and it came back fine, so it's not that. I'm pretty sure is to do with my anxiety. I'm on anti-depressants and have been since November 2007. I know the breathing can be a cause of anxiety so my advice would be to take your mind off of it and play a game, read, watch tv, anything that will stop being aware of breathing!

Hi, I'm 17 and have been diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder. I have these exact same problems but many more symptoms on top of that. I catch myself taking excessively deep breaths and when i do, it feels as if my heart is palpitating. On top of that, I get chest pain, i get pale, my heart races (as well as my thoughts), i get nauseous, tired, and worst of all, claustrophobic (I am in a very large choir group) I think a lot of my deep breathing problems comes from a lack of refreshing sleep, since the anxiety and stress has led to depression and sleep issues like grinding my teeth. I take Lexapro right now. 10mg. But that only seems to make me not worry about anything. It doesn't really control my anxiety. I have severe panic attacks out of nowhere about every couple of days or so. My problem is, I'm still young so I don't have enough knowledge about what's going on to really help me get it solved and my mom thinks that nothing is wrong though i truly think there is (that's just the anxiety). And what's worse is that now that I have sleep problems, I've begun getting something called Migraine Variant. This has most migraine symptoms like head pain, aura, loss of sight/hearing, but also some stroke-like symptoms, i.e. one side of the body tingling/going numb and it freaks me out. I have had all kinds of blood-work done, a CT scan of my head, urinary analysis and my blood pressure/sugar is perfect. What worries me the most is that I'm 17, 5'11 and 195 lbs, so I'm SLIGHTLY overweight but not unhealthy by any means so i worry that I could have a heart attack though I know I'm too young and healthy to have one, and I always worry that I have Peripheral Artery Disease because sometimes it feels as if my legs go cold, though other parts of body do as well. I really freak myself out a lot. So I've actually had to start seeing a therapist and it helps somewhat when I actually have something to talk about. I've talked to my Biotechnology teacher and she says that it's very possible I have an attention disorder which causes the restlessness which could lead to stress, which causes anxiety and then all that leads to depression then loss of sleep. So I'm going to talk to my mom about getting checked for A.D.D. or something along those lines. I don't do drugs, drink, or smoke at all, and I'm asthmatic. My lungs are healthy because I played baritone in band for a few years and I sing borderline religiously. So it can't be my lungs, my heart is healthy, and I don't have any other existing diseases. So I think the underlying problem could just be sever anxiety disorder or A.D.D. Just know that you are not alone in this whole "I think this crud is going to kill me" kind of world.