I've been starting to worry about my breathing. I'm a 20 year old male, who excercises 3 times a week. I've never had this problem in my younger years it seems to have just happened to me. I'm constantly having to take deep breaths/yawns. I'll yawn or take a deep breath, and moments later I'll feel like I have to do it again. When I get to the point where I feel a yawn coming or deep breath, as soon as I try, the feeling goes away and it gets very irritating and annoying. On some days I wake up and feel normal all day, other days I'll experience this feeling all day. Is this some kind of warning that I might have Asthma? Or could it be anxiety? Is this something serious to be worried about?

Hey Kevin,
Yep...I am having the same problem. Most of the time they say it is anxiety. I am seeing a cardiologist tomorrow (not because of this but for an EKG exam I recently had)...I will ask him about this and get back with you. I am 50! You are just a babe. :-)
Take care,
kathie

hey kevin, i know this post if from over a year ago but i seem to be having the same problem you were having and i was wondering if you found anything out last year that made it better for you. i went to the doctor last week and she put me on 2 inhalers (1 is a steroid) and also prilosec. she thinks there is a possiblilty it may be acid reflux. i was a little better this weekend but today it is worse. just looking for some answers.
thanks
Brandi

Sounds like this is airhunger.
Do a search for "airhunger on Google for more info.
hope it helps :-)

I am 25 now and have suffered the same breathing problems described above since I was 20. I went through a bad break up with my first boyfriend when I was about 20. I had come over from south africa and was living with my Aunt in the uk. The break up effected me really bad and I found myself thinking of nothing else but him. I lost a lot of weight and got very depressed. I found myself not being able to take deep breaths, at first it would happen for about an hour each day. I would sleep fine and when I woke in the morning and started to think about my breathing I found it getting harder to take a deep breath. I even started waking in the night hyperventilating. I didn't know what was happening and my Aunt took me to the doctors, who did blood tests and tested for Asthma, all came back clear. I was given beta blocker to take but my Mom didn't want me to start on them, so I didn't. I was unhappy in my current job and so changed jobs, I booked a holiday to south africa and suddenly I started feeling a bit better. I had my bad days and good days.

After my holiday to south africa, I came back very positive. My Mom had taken me to the doctors in SA - who suggested it was anxiety. My Mom put me on some good vitimins and when I was back in the UK, I felf almost my old self again. I started going out again with my friends and even put a bit of weight on. I forgot all about my breathing and was able to talk about what had been happening in my life and address the problem.
Then 12 months later I met my husband. I was very happy and after 6 months we brought a house together. I felt it was the right thing to do but when we started looking at houses ect, I started to sigh a lot and take deep breaths. I found myself yawning just to be able to get a satisfied deep breath. I somethimes got panic attacks too. The panic attacks came when I am unable to take a deep breath as I thought something bad was going to happen. We moved into the house and got engaged. We got married 12 months ago and I was very nervous on my wedding day I would start panicking about taking a deep breath. My wedding day went well but the whole time up until today I have good days and bad. Some days I get really fed up as I am trying to put on weight again and can't. I eat a normal healthy diet. I am very emotional and do feel it is anxiety and panic. I do try and be positive but it scares me thinking I may hve to live like this forever. I have thought about going on to the beta blocker and take a small dosage to see if this helps? I know I can beat this again but I got very upset when all the symptoms came back the second time as I thought I was over it. Any suggestions?

lisa_marie84 - I'm 63 - active and am having the same problem. It started about 5 months ago following a hospital stay resulting from what I thought was a possible heart attach. It was not but I stoppped smoking, started moderate exercise and the problem showed up. It is getting me down and I'm not sure how to stop it.

Hi Loubo, I really do think it is stress related. I can pinpoint that at certain times when I get it I have been in a stressfull situation. A bit like post traumatic stress. I have good days and bad, however I have been sleeping fine. It does get me down and I find it mentally tiring. Try taking calcium and zinc - you can get it in powder form as calcium and magnisium helps you relax and if you are having problems sleeping it could help. Maybe keep calms or stress relief drops with you at all times. I know for 12 months I completely forgot about it and I was back to my normal self, but ever since we bought a house and work has got stressfull it has returned. It got me really down when it returned as it feels like a constant battle. Now I think I have just got myself in a habit of taking deep breaths and hence over breathing. If something works for you please let me know.

Hey Kevin,
I am 20 years old too, and just recently started having panic attacks and on medicine for anxiety. About two weeks ago I started having the same problem, where It feels like pressure or something is in my chest, (hard to explain the feeling) but anyways when I take a really good deep breath it releives it, but as soon as I do, gradually the discomfront comes back and I have to take another deep breath. Some days are better than others but most of the time it is when I am thinking about it or anticipating it. My mom says it is probably related to the anxiety, even though I am afraid it is something more. I am going to the doctor next tuesday and will ask about it!! Most likely it is nothing but a stress related problem and we are having a bad spell of it! I exercise all the time too!
Mere

hi, i have been having this very same problem. although it only started 2 days ago. Ive read on another internet page that because you have got so used to taking the extra breath your brain is telling you that it needs it which gives you that feeling in your chest to breathe in deeply again every 15 seconds or so. It says that if you try to resist the urge to breathe in, it should sort itself out. Ive been trying to do that today but it gets so unbearable i just want to relieve the feeling and end up breathing in deeply. Im starting to get really worried about it. But i dont think its helping that im constantly thinking about it because that is probably going to make it worse :-(

Anonymous wrote:

hi, i have been having this very same problem. although it only started 2 days ago. Ive read on another internet page that because you have got so used to taking the extra breath your brain is telling you that it needs it which gives you that feeling in your chest to breathe in deeply again every 15 seconds or so. It says that if you try to resist the urge to breathe in, it should sort itself out. Ive been trying to do that today but it gets so unbearable i just want to relieve the feeling and end up breathing in deeply. Im starting to get really worried about it. But i dont think its helping that im constantly thinking about it because that is probably going to make it worse :(

I have had the problem for about a year now although my wife reminded me that this problem showed up a number of years ago also. It has been called by a number of folks as "AIR HUNGER" - the feeling of not getting enough air in you lungs. I have been through all the tests that they have and no one has found anything physical that this might be related to. Most physicians believe that it is related to stress and I tent to now agree with them. When I am relaxed, with or without my stress meds, I usually don't have the problem. I never have it when I'm sleeping as an example. I still have the problem but I'm learning to deal with it by trying to relax as much as possible when it occurs. I know it's hard but try this yourself. I know that when I started getting this feeling, I would worry, get up-tight, think about it day and night, and it would just get worse. I noticed that if I was on vacation, away from work, I would have it less frequently. Then I had all the tests and I came to my own conclusion that I was not dying and that's when I started to rely on relaxing when I happened. I'm learning that this has been the biggest help along with an increase in doses of my stress meds. - Hang in there, there are many people who have this issue - try to learn to relax, especially during an episode. See if it helps. - - Good Luck

Hi I have had the same problem being a practitioner for the last 18 years in sports massage etc... It is the diaphram muscle and you can get rid of it by relising it off it is brought on by stress. Hope tthis helps x

My 6 year old does this as well and the docs told me it is a nervous twitch.... when she is stressed is when she does it like every 7th breath she takes a deep one. then it goes away....thenn comes back....not sure if it is true or not, but every doc we have seen about it says the same thing. her lungs are great.

I am going through the same thing . When I get anxious I try to always take this deep satisfying breath and when I can't I freak out. Now I feel like I only do it because I wanna get that satisfying deep breath but it's really starting to get annoying hopefully my brain will just end up forgetting about it . Now if I could only stop googaling about it lol

hello guys im 24 yr old i have the same problem of deep breathin.. i am stressed in work and in personal problem with my girlfirend since she got pregnant and dont know how to say it in her parents. anyways i thought im having a heart problem or lung problem, i thought i was lack of excercise since i have a big belly, and i was observing the way i breathing and started to think what could it be. anyway i just found out a site which explain alot and right this moment im started to feel better. maybe we guys must learn how to relax and learn how to breath right .  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

-gerald

It's not helpful that the moderator removed your link...I was very excited to see what you found, as I have only found incomplete information about this issue (which is identical to what my 6 year old has, but doctors can generally only call "stress"--and my 6 year old son, to my knowledge, is the most easygoing, relaxed person--I see no evidence that he has any anxiety/stress, although you never know what someone is actually feeling I guess).